Chapter Fifteen

Two full days of silence. Or at least it would be in less than half an hour, something Emily realized as she climbed into bed on Thursday night and looked at the time on her phone.

She hadn't heard another word from Raine since he'd answered the first text she had sent him after seeing his Awake in the City appearance. Emily knew his days were probably one interview and photo shoot after the next to promote next week's movie premiere, even if she wished he'd found a minute somewhere in his day to reply that he missed her, too.

Not that she knew for certain he was doing a flurry of press—it was just something she'd assumed from Raine saying he was in New York for a press junket. Since seeing his interview, Emily had avoided reading anything online beyond what she posted to Zeeked, and she hadn't been anywhere near a TV. If Raine had been asked about his dating life by other interviewers, she didn't want to know. She was jumpy enough waiting for Wally to lace into her with more questions, which he so far hadn't done.

Emily leaned over to put her phone on her bedside table when it began buzzing in her hand. Her breath caught, hoping it was Raine, even though it was late in New York. If he was headed home tomorrow, she reasoned, he could have finished up any press he'd had to do today and might not have an early morning. She glanced at the phone's screen.

It was Wally.

She hesitated, her finger hovering over the answer call button. It could be better to ignore him and pretend she was asleep. Emily didn't really want to know if Raine had said something during another interview that would be a reason for Wally to interrogate her, or if Kami was hounding him again.

Then again, if there was a rumor swirling out there, stopping it before Wally published something wouldn't be a bad idea.

She answered her phone. "You know it's almost midnight, right?"

"I thought you were a night person," Wally said. "Nice hello, by the way."

She made a face at the phone. "Hello stops after ten o'clock, and I'm a night person planning to get up for a morning yoga class. What's going on?"

He cleared his throat. "I need you to tell me something."

She groaned. "I knew a call from you at this time of night couldn't be about anything good."

"You don't even know what I want to ask you about," he pointed out. "Why do you assume it isn't good?"

"Because nothing good ever comes from calls at this hour, and because lately when you've asked me to tell you something, it's involved my personal life. I swear I'm hanging up on you if this is about that photo again."

"Easy," he told her. "It's not about that particular photo, but I did hear from Kami tonight. She sent another email."

"Fantastic." Emily flopped back against her pillows. "Can't wait to hear what she's feeding you this time."

"Calm down, diva," he teased. "This one wasn't about you. I ran a couple of stories this week about a woman Cory's been spotted out with, and Kami claims she's the woman in the photos I posted. Since you know her, I thought I'd ask you."

"She contacted you to identify herself?" Emily couldn't stop the incredulity that crept into her voice.

"You're surprised?" Wally asked. "You're the one who told me she was looking for fame and glory."

"No," she admitted. "I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around anyone deliberately feeding herself to the wolves—no offense."

"I'm going to pretend I didn't hear that." Despite his words, Wally sounded amused. "You're right, though. I've never had someone own up to being a celebrity's mystery date. It's usually someone who knows the person who sends that info my way. I guess that's why I feel like I need confirmation."