Chapter Eleven - Always Come Back

“This is insane,” I muttered, nothing moving except for my lips and my eyes.

            I was perched against some rock, and my eyes set on someone … someone I’d just seen; two someones actually. One was familiar in the way he dressed and appeared, if only slightly. The other, the woman, had changed.

            Her brown hair, average in color, fell down her back in loose waves. Her eyes, similar to the boy who stood next to her, were void of eyeliner, instead rimmed by some odd green substance. Clothing, it was loose sweat pant like things, and the shirt was loosely matching the description of a tee shirt.

            She looked almost as mad as I felt.

            “What’s wrong?” she asked, and her voice sounded the same. Something familiar about her, that’s something I coveted.

            “Gemma?” I asked, struggling to sit up, despite my limbs protests. “Gemma, why are here?” I asked, my mind struggling to connect the dots. I remember my surrounding, I know they weren’t the alternate world I’d just been in, but she wasn’t supposed to be in them.

            This could only mean one thing. My hallucinations were forming together.

            “You remember my name?” she asked, surprised, shooting the boy next to her … her brother a look. “That’s fantastic!” she exclaimed, obviously pleased with herself, “Those leaves I gave you must’ve worked.”

            “Why are you here?” I asked again, flicking my worried eyes to Harry. “Why is she here?” I found myself asking him, and yet he didn’t have an answer. He may have appeared in both worlds, but he completely different.

            “She’s helping you Alice,” he said, lowering down to my knees and taking my quivering hands, righting me so I was sitting up. He looked into my eyes, concern rimming his irises. “She’s helping you find yourself,” he told me, looking down at my hands, shaking despite his tight grasp.

            “I’ve already found myself though,” I told him, voice stern. “I’m here, I’m right here,” I practically shouted, and he sighed, tearing his eyes away from me, and letting go of my hands.          

            “I’m going to go grab some food for her, she’s probably hungry,” he said, looking at Gemma, who was nodding, but distractingly. She was taking note of our interactions.

            “Don’t leave,” I said softly, my legs fighting to get up, to reach to him, but failing. Despite my mind’s state he was only thing that stayed somewhat consistent. Sure, one of the Harry’s was in love with me and one thought I was strange, but his personality was similar. Similar is someone worth notation.

            His expression looked hopeful, and somewhat surprised at my request. I hadn’t shone much interest in before, so I guess this would come as a surprise, but I didn’t like just how much shock filled his vision.

            “I need to talk to you alone, Alice,” Gemma announced, sending Harry a look. “He’ll come right back, he always does,” she promised me, a smile on her lips. “But he’s right about you being hungry, fainting can do that.”

            “When did I faint?” I asked, tipping my knees forward, peering up at the girl.

            “Harry said you were walking on the Jabberwocky’s path, just talking, when you fell. You collapsed right there in front of him,” she started in explanation, sitting down so we were eye to eye. “He scooped you up, quickened his pace, and here you are.”