Chapter One - Tune In

"Alice," I heard Noelle mutter, causing my attention to rip from the television and over to where Hattie was standing along with Dora, right in front of the door.

"What is it?" I asked, craning my neck to see if I could make out what was happening through the frosted glass. I wasn't having any luck though. Gemma had made most windows or doors in the house nearly impossible to see through. She promises that it's just for our safety and not because she's afraid of us getting out, but because she doesn't want anyone figuring out where we are; that she took us from that hellhole.

"It's Gemma and company," Chester said in his bone wrenching voice.

"What do you mean company?" Dora asked meekly, resting her head against Hattie's hip.

"He means Gemma and and someone else," Hattie answered in her coddling child voice; thankfully she was nice Hattie today, yesterday we hadn't been as lucky. She hadn't been to extreme yesterday, but it had shaken Dora up a bit. Dora quickly figured Hattie out, although she never asked anyone about her. She was small and quiet, like a mouse.

"Good morning," the familiar brunette blurted, bursting into the house.

"It's five PM," Cat said, and I looked over to find the girl huddled in a small chair in the corner, her tired eyes watching the clock. Gemma had taken her pipe away from her when we'd gotten here a month ago, and it was clear quickly that Cat was having some withdrawal. Gemma, despite her actions breaking us out, was a nurse, and she wasn't about to give her the mystery substance. So Cat was always seemed tired, not different from before; she wasn't in a daze anymore though, and she could answer questions, and for the time I have seen signs of intelligence in the raven-haired girl.

"Oh ... well it doesn't matter, I need you girls to go downstairs," she announced, leaning against the door and gulping, "and don't come back up until I say to." She motioned for us to go, and Dora was the first one to make a move, skipping over to the door that led to the basement.

"What about me?" Chester asked with his signature grin, "you said girls."

"With that haircut you might as well be," she said with a laugh, "but I'm serious, scot your bums downstairs." With a sigh I got up and grabbed Noelle's hand, bringing her with me toward the door that Dora had just opened.

"Wait up Dora," Hattie called, quite loudly and causing Gemma to flinch.

"Stay quiet please, I have company and I don't want anyone to know you're here," she hissed and a whisper and I saw Cat roll her eyes and push herself up, walking slow and zombie-like behind us.

"Cat, speed it up," Gemma said, her voice tightening as she shoved Chester slightly. She mumbled something I return and I felt Noelle close behind me, pushing me slightly down the stairs.

"I'm going," I muttered, following down the dimly lit, and my I add thin, stairway, a few mentally insane people closing in behind me.

"Just stay quiet, and no matter what, do not come up," she ordered, a loose smile making its way to her lips. "And you guys won't be like this forever, I'm just figuring out a way for you to get out in the public with all the people looking for you," she added, her voice soft and not strict like a mothers, but like the twenty something year old she was.

With that though she closed the door, a small lit automatically switching on as we heard a small girl's shriek. I could practically hear Hattie freak out behind me, so I quickened my pace, making it to the bottom of the staircase and into the small basement level of Gemma's home.

"How long do you think we'll be-" Chester started, before he reached the ground, making the small turn into the main room and stopping, his head tilting up. "Well, we can be out much faster than I thought," he said with a lopsided smirk, pointing up towards the top of the wall, where a glass window, a few feet wide and tall was placed.