Chapter 5: The Empty Throne

Malic, Hero, and the King made their way from the shores of the misty lake, the Forsaken castle looming overhead.

As they walked over towards the castle, a screech from the sky was heard. Looking up, winged beasts descended upon them.

"Gargoyles." Said Malic, a hint of annoyance in his voice. He brandished a cane. "I assume you are both capable of defending yourselves?" He asked, turning to the King and the Hero.

"Yes" said the Hero. The King remained silent, brandishing his sword, and eyeing the beast. The Gargoyle flew at them, its wings outstretched. The King, slid to its side, the Hero whirled around it behind it, in almost blinding speed, and Malic grabbed it by the throat and slammed it into the ground. The Gargoyle screeched even louder, and in the distant many screeches were heard, as if in reply to a call for help.

"We must hurry. The Castle has thousands of these beasts. We will not survive all of them." Said Malic, as the Gargoyle struggled against his grip. He rammed his cane through the gargoyles heart, watching as it screamed and then went limp. 3 more descended, in front of them, these ones larger than the first. The Hero swung his mace at the one closest to him, but it used its wings as a shield, and went to claw at him. Another flew at the King. He readied his sword, and used it as a shield, against its claws. The last, eyed Malic closely. "Intelligence does not suit a beast," he said. He tapped his cane against the ground softly. " come" he taunted. "Be Ghastly. Terrify me." He continued to tap his cane on the floor, as the Hero and the King fought their battles. When the Gargoyle grew angered, he flew at Malic, and Malics cane transformed. It broke into pieces, connected by a serrated chain. He wrapped it around the creature's neck, strangling it. As it struggled against the chain, the Hero, killed his foe, the electrical charge from his mace proving too strong. It was paralyzed, and fell down, where he smashed its skull in. The King too was successful in his fight. The beast continued to try to claw at him, but the King had no fear, and getting in close, he sliced it across both legs, severing its tendons. It fell to its knees,, desperately flapping its wings. The King then shoved his sword through its mouth as it opened to screech. Turning to Malic, and the last Gargoyle, he rammed his sword through the monster's chest. The monster screamed in pain. "Rest now. Foul beast" soothed Malic into the monster's ear. He then yanked the chain, decapitating the monster's head from its body.

"These creatures..do they not suffer the plague?" Asked the Hero, when he realized no echoes of blood flowed from them.

"That wretched plague never made it to these shores." Replied Malic.

"That's good.." Said the King softly.

"Is it?" Asked Malic, his whip returning to cane form. He pulled his hat down, and beckoned for them to follow. "This way." He led them to an elevator, which took them into a hall that led to a library. There, maids were cleaning the floors.

"The servants?!"cried out the King. "They are-"

"Dead." Interrupted Malic. "Ghosts. Or something close. Be silent, and make your way to the top. Lest you kill the final survivors of Cainhurst Castle." They crept past the servants, who sang to themselves as they mopped floors, and cleant tables. They climbed a ladder, and made their way out a window. "Watch your step, King. These pathways are icy, and so very treacherous. It would be a shame for the king to slip and fall to his death. What a way to die." They carefully walked along the edge of the roof tops of the castle, climbing ladders and ascending higher and higher, leaping from balcony to balcony, the falling snow, masking their footsteps. They came to a stop on a leveled roof.

"Is that..?" Asked the King, a tear running down his cheek as his eyes came to rest on the crown sitting on top of a corpse resting dormant on a throne. A throne that once belonged to the King.