chapter twenty-one

kari's pov

it was the end of the school day.

i was hurrying to get back to my dorm room, because sammy wanted me to hang out with him and gilinsky before curfew, and if gilinsky was there, i knew very well that johnson and carrington would be there.

but when i reached to unlock the door, it opened from the inside and nate bumped into me. i stared at him questionably - quickly observing his messy hair, his shirt that was buttoned incorrectly and him, fixing up his belt.

my lips turned into a smirk, "so, what have you been up to, nate?".

"oh, i, uh..." he hesitated and i peeped inside the room to see chantelle making her bed again. "...chantelle and i were just talking".

i nodded my head, even though i didn't believe him one bit, "okay, so talking involved messing up chantelle's bed?".

"we also looked for this textbook that i really needed for world-".

"save it, nate" i patted him on the shoulder and said. "i'm not stupid".

i playfully shook my head, and walked past him to finally go into my room.

i settled my bag on my bed, as chantelle continued to perfect her bed sheets in silence. we're still not speaking and to be honest, it's been too long and i'm starting to miss my best friend.

i cleared my throat, then walked over to my closet to find a new outfit, "so, it looks like you and nate are back on track...that's great".

"why do you care?" she mumbled back and i exhaled with my eyes shut.

"because you're my best friend, and i like seeing you happy" i explained, while still facing away from her.

"well, that didn't really seem to be the case when you never told me that nate cheated on me with mere".

i finally turned around, "actually that was the case, chantelle. i know very well that deep down, nate doesn't actually mean any harm, and meredith certainly doesn't either. so, i felt like not telling you was the right thing to do because you were happy with him and it was a drunken mistake".

while she sat on her bed, she glanced up at me.

"but remember towards the end of sixth grade, and we promised to tell each other everything because back then, i learnt that lying just makes you lose people. just like my dad was lying to my mom about his affair" she replied.

"well, we also promised not to let anything to do with a boy get in between us" i remembered as i fiddled with my hands. "...i'm sorry".

chantelle sighed deeply and stood up.

"i'm sorry too. i was a complete bitch during that soccer game and i should have never told anyone about you and sam" she said, but i brushed it off and shook my head.

"it's okay. i mean, he's one of the most popular alexander boys, everyone was bound to find out eventually" i explained. "but that doesn't matter anymore - what does, is that i have my best friend back".

my mouth formed into a smile and so did chantelle's, before she hugged me tightly and i did the same.

"okay, now spill the details about you and sammy" chantelle immediately demanded, as she got comfy on her bed and patted the space beside her.