4. "I love you"

Mary was sitting in a cafe, waiting for the girl that she'd told John about.
This girl had been her friend since they were children. As it turned out, this friend had known John and Sherlock for longer than Mary had too. She'd loved Sherlock, once, and Mary thought that maybe that would make their bond stronger. After all, if she'd loved Sherlock, and Mary had loved John, maybe they could be together as the ones who had been hurt when the boys had realised their love for each other.
Mary remembered the day she'd realised that this friend had feelings for her. She'd never mentioned it to her, but it had always haunted her, especially when there was a small part of her that loved her too.
Mary saw her enter the cafe, and waved her over. She saw her and sat down next to her with a smile.
"Hi, Mary," she greeted her.
"Hi. Listen, I wanted to talk to you. I've really missed you. John and I- well, he's gone back to Sherlock, and it gave me time to think about where I was going in life. And I realised- I realised that I've missed you. I know you had feelings for me before. I didn't say anything, because you had a boyfriend and I had John, but I think we're both single now, and I would like to give it a try-"
"Of course, Mary," the friend said. "I've missed you too. And that boyfriend you were talking about... Did you really think we would stay together after what he did to Sherlock and John?"
"I guess not," Mary laughed. "But, thank you for seeing me here. For listening. You always listened to me." Then she leant in and kissed her quickly.
"Do you have to go?" her friend- well, girlfriend, maybe- said sadly.
"Midwife stuff. But come round to mine when you're done at work," Mary said.
Mary got up and walked out of the cafe, leaving Molly Hooper sitting at the table, completely amazed that her best friend and the woman she loved, loved her back.

Lestrade leant against the wall, shaking slightly. Mycroft started to stand up, but Lestrade shook his head.
"Stay there," he said, before going back over to stand in front of his boyfriend.
"Mycroft Holmes, I will marry you. I love you," he said quietly. Mycroft smiled up at him in delight.
"I love you too," he said, putting the rings on both their fingers and then kissing his fiancé.
"You should know," Mycroft said when they broke apart, "that even if you become Greg Holmes, everyone will still call you Lestrade." Lestrade laughed.
"You're the only one that doesn't," he said softly, and from the other room, the violin began to play.

Sherlock was better already- the stupid overdose drugs hadn't been too strong, what had kept him asleep was the fact that he didn't want to wake up.
John sat by Sherlock and watched him as he played the violin. He never understood how Sherlock, who didn't even know that the earth orbited the sun, could play the violin so perfectly.
Sherlock looked sideways and saw John staring at him, but he said nothing and just smiled as he played. John was oblivious to what was happening outside the hallway, but Sherlock had seen the small lump in Mycroft's pocket and the way he kept playing with something in that pocket. From the way he always looked at Lestrade when he did, Sherlock had deduced that this object was an engagement ring. Although not the most empathetic person, Sherlock had decided that since Mycroft had saved his life more than once, he would repay him by not ruining the best moment of his life for him.

That evening, Mary and John went to start to get a divorce. They didn't hate each other, like other couples they saw there. They didn't fight over details or money or the house or custody of their child. They'd already decided to split the money 50/50, Mary would get the house and primary custody of their daughter, but John could visit whenever he liked.
In fact, the people working there seemed a bit confused as to why they were getting a divorce, since they got along so well.
"We've both met other people," Mary explained. "We realised that we loved them too much, and that we're better as friends."

Back at 221B, Mrs Hudson was sitting in her room with a small smile. She'd known that John and Sherlock were perfect for each other since the beginning; she didn't understand how it had taken them so long to realise it. But better late than never. Which, incidentally, was what she'd said to Mycroft four weeks ago.
He'd been waiting in the living room for Sherlock to come back, and while he'd been there, she'd talked to him about his boyfriend, that detective that Sherlock liked, Lestrade. He'd said he'd wanted to propose for a long time- Mrs Hudson had told him to hurry up.
"He's a busy man, Mycroft, you need to set a special date."

Of course, it hadn't turned out exactly like that. She'd walked into the hallway as Mycroft had dropped down on one knee, but on seeing that scene, she'd turned around quickly, sighing slightly. When she'd said "special date", she hadn't meant Sherlock's hallway.

----------------------------------------------

I know there isn't much johnlock in this chapter but I hoped you like the Mary and Molly + Mycroft and Lestrade moments!
I'm so pleased that people are actually reading my book... Thank you all!
- johnlockwatson