part one

Ryan is seven when he meets Brendon Urie. Brendon's father comes to Nottingham Palace to pay respects to Ryan's guardian, the newly crowned King Pete.

Ryan is a shy kid at the time. Two years earlier, his parents died from consumption, and he had not been adjusting well despite Pete taking him in and raising him like he was his own son.

One morning after breakfast, Pete tells him that he'd like to introduce him to a baron and his youngest son.

Ryan bites his lip and nods. He doesn't like meeting new people, but he loves Pete almost as much as he used to love his own father, so he complies. He follows Pete into the castle's throne room, purposefully staying a few steps behind him, just enough to disguise the fact that he's hiding behind Pete with the idea that he's showing proper respect to his king.

The first time Ryan sees Brendon, he curiously peeks around Pete's body to see him, and Brendon gives Ryan the biggest, widest grin he's ever seen.

Maybe that's why Brendon was different from all the other people Pete had introduced him to during his time at the palace. Brendon had true noble blood, unlike Ryan, but he didn't look down his nose at him. He didn't sneer or size Ryan up.

Brendon just smiled.

His father reaches out to him and gives Brendon's shoulder a tight squeeze that makes him wince, before a look of realization crosses his face. The boy bows at the waist to Pete and says, in a small voice that didn't at all fit the smile from before, "It's an honor to meet you, your majesty."

Lord Urie, his mouth is set in a thin line, bows as well, his posture tight and almost angry. "Your majesty, Master Ryan."

Pete waves his hand. "Please, we're the only ones present. There's really no need for useless formalities. But I'm pleased to make your acquaintance, Lord Urie. And, Brendon," Ryan could swear he could see Pete's eyes glimmer at this, "the pleasure is all mine."

Brendon looks surprised, glances quickly up to his father, then back to Pete and finally at Ryan. He bites his lip, his face torn with indecision. Then, he takes a deep breath, steps forward and extends his hand to Ryan. "Hello, I'm Brendon." The smile is back, full force, blinding.

Ryan hesitates for a moment before taking the offered hand, smiling faintly himself. "I'm Ryan."

"Ryan," Pete says, "why don't you take Brendon out to the gardens? I'm sure he'd love it out there."

Ryan nods, and Brendon's smile, it goes impossibly wider. "Okay. Come on, Brendon."

Brendon never lets go of Ryan's hand after their handshake, and he keeps holding it as Ryan leads him to the garden.

"Oh!" Brendon says as Ryan pushes open the doors leading outside. "Ryan, it's beautiful!"

Ryan nods, staying quiet. He loves the gardens himself. It's summer, and everything is in bloom, giant sunflowers facing the sun, big red roses popping up by the hundreds, pink carnations, forget-me-nots and lilacs scattered everywhere. He could spend hours here. But he doesn't say any of that; most people think that things like flowers are for girls, and Brendon is probably just being nice.

Brendon's smile fades slightly. "You don't mind me just calling you Ryan, do you? I can call you a title, if you want, um, Master Ryan."

Ryan blinks, surprised. "You don't have to call me anything. Why would you think that?"

Brendon shrugs. "You didn't talk much, that's all. I thought maybe you were mad. A lot of people really care about that sort of thing."

"Pete doesn't," Ryan points out, shuffling his feet uncomfortably.