Naraku[The Mist]

You stared up at the sky, "I guess today is it...."

You sat up. Green grass clung to your back, telling you not to go. You stood up, defying the grass. This grass was your childhood, telling you stay as a child. No....you had to become a woman....

You walked to the house. Women bowed as you entered and escorted you to the bath.

You sat in the large bath, deep in thought about what was going to happen. Would everyone be happy if you went along with this? What is Takashi feeling right now? Was he happy, excited?

You stood up and were toweled off by the women. You were dressed. In a beautiful white and red kimono, a blue shawl rested across your shoulders. The ladies did your hair, a few had tears in their eyes as they smiled at you. You smiled back.

You followed one woman down the hall of the shrine. You saw the shrine maiden standing at a stone table, Takashi standing on the opposite side of him. You smiled nervously at him. You walked past the people, who parted for you. People smiled and some cried.

You looked at your hand, a ring sat on your ring finger.

You brought it up to your mouth and kissed it. You had to break that promise you made.

You stepped up to the table and the shrine maiden spoke, "Today is a....special day. We are here to see two people, two strangers, trust themselves...."

You held your chin up. You saw your mother wearing all black. Your father looked upset. Your sister was crying.

"Today....we see....two people.... sacrifice each other to the Land God...."

You breathed in.

"These people are chosen randomly every ten years. A young man and woman. Today, it is time they show how much they love their God."

You picked up your dagger. Takashi picked up his. You looked at him. He was stoic by nature. That day was no different.

Takashi breathed in and sliced his wrist. You watched as he gave one last smile to you and hit the ground. Takashi's family wailed.

Everyone's attention turned to you. You slowly lifted the blade and felt the side of it touch your wrist.

'Why are you doing this?'

You looked up and saw a beautiful man with long black hair standing over Takashi's body. Mist covered the floor, obscuring your vision. You gazed into his red eyes, and knew he was a yokai.

No one noticed him. Was he invisible? He walked to you and took the blade in his hand, 'You don't have to do this....'

His voice sounded like it was a dream, echoing over the noises in the real world.

"Is there something amatter?" asked the shrine maiden.

You turned to her, "N-No....j-just a moment...."

You turned back to the dream man, but he was no longer there. In your right hand rested the dagger, in your left a small scroll.

'If you choose the note, you won't have to die,' he whispered in your ear. 'You could live with me....We'd be happy together....'

You heard someone in the crowd whisper something.

'Why am I doing this?' you thought. Your hand grasping the dagger started to shake. The handle slipped from your fingers. It hit the ground and you fell to your knees, shaking.

"What is going on?" the crowd muttered.

'What is your answer?'

"P-Please....I-I'll go with you....I'll serve you....Anything....Just who are you?" you asked, heart beating fast.