Hidden Secret

I woke up to the pitter patter of the rain on my window. I flipped my body across my bed and try to hide myself under the covers. I didn’t want to wake up, I didn’t want to face the truth. I squeezed my eye shuts and tried to delve into the comfort of the darkness under my covers. Everything that was a rolling into a big ball of momentum these past months was coming undone for what it really was today.

            My name is Iris, I’m seventeen even though my brother always told me I was born an old soul. I can’t really argue with that its true, I never really went through my rebellious teenager stage thank god. I was just really mature and boring if I could be honest. I had recently been going through some things at home but weirdly enough I was glad it was happening. My parents had always been arguing since I was young and I grew up to detest it so when my mom moved out of our house I was thankful it finally coming to an end. Well I hoped, because last year they had pulled the same stunt and my mother dearest even sat me down and told me she wanted to divorce my dad.

            I found my phone under my pillow and swiped my finger across the screen to see what time it was.

“Crap” I muttered under my breath and started untangling out of my sheets.

It was already one in the afternoon and I had to be at my best friends house in 10 minutes or she’d start freaking out on me. Let me tell you, NOBODY wants to witness a Sammy freak out. I walked towards my closet and got a cute sport bra and a cut off shirt and found my favorite high waisted shorts. I made my way to my restroom and took a quick shower. Once I had put my outfit on I looked at myself in the mirror. I had long curly hair naturally that was a golden brown and had green eyes that went well with my olive complexion. Luckily, I had never went through that “omg I’m so ugly phase” because I honestly I wasn’t. I’m not cocky but I hate girls who say they’re so ugly but they’re drop dead gorgeous and they’re only fishing for compliments. I was blessed with my mother’s curvy body except I just happened to be the miniature version, standing just at 5’1 I got a lot of shit for it.

            I left my restroom and grabbed my bag and my phone making my way downstairs I looked around and no one was home, hmmm strange. I shrugged and left my house and got in my black range rover. You could say my family was rich but we didn’t have it handed it to us, my father slaved himself for over 15 years to be where he was now, bloody rich and with an impending divorce on the way. I sighed and drove off to Sammy’s house.

--------------------------

            I was currently splayed across Sammy’s couch downstairs clicking through the channels looking at all the ridiculousness called reality tv. Sammy was upstairs slapping make up on her face and its not like she needed it. My bestfriend since I was 3 was like my sister and we resembled each other uncannily. There was just a few differences between us, where I was short and curvy she was short and petite. She had elfin features like me but had piercing crystal blue eyes. I loved Sammy to death and didn’t know what I would do with out her, we had gone through everything together.

            “Dude, why are you so spaced out you freak.” Sammy asked me as she came downstairs all glammed up.

            “Fuck off!” I laughed, “Why are you so glammed up anyways?”

She jumped the last two steps and twirled her little body around the couch dancing and laughing.

“Girl didn’t I tell you we are going to the pier tonight?!”   

“Uh, no?” I’m pretty sure I would remember that.

“Well we are so you’re gonna have to go like that I guess!”

I shrugged, I wasn’t one to get really fancy I loved to be comfortable. I kept looking at Sammy and noticed she was all over the play, I mean like more than usual.

            “Oh my god Sammy! What’s his name!”  I yelled at her, she instantly started blushing insanely.

So that’s why she was all glammed up to go to the pier, the usual hangout for us at night. I knew something was up when she had dolled herself to the tens. Let’s just say Sammy’s the extrovert when it comes to boys while I’m more comfortable acting like one of the guys.  Sammy shot me a sly look and let me know she was going to tell me “You’ll meet him tonight!” She giggled. Oh tonight was going to be interesting.

            I was regretting wearing my shorts and cut off shirt now. I was on the end of the pier feeling the cool air around me and slightly trembling. I loved looking at the water underneath the weathered wooden planks and seeing the reflection of the moonlight on the waters dark surface. Sammy had told me to wait five seconds because she was going to go and get the mystery guy who had caught her eye. I chuckled under my breath. She was the definition of a crazy, normal, teenage girl. At that exact moment I heard footsteps on the creaky planks and turned around.

             The first thing that I noticed was how much taller this guy who was holding Sammy’s hand was, compared to her small feminine figure all I could think of was a big tree trunk next to her. He easily had more than a foot on her but it was cute, she looked like a little pixie. I smiled tentatively at the guy and extended my arm cautiously. Sammy jumped like a little child while he shook my hand and had a strong shake.

“Jake this is Iris, Iris this is Jake!” she exclaimed. I could tell she was excited and nervous at the same time.

I was scoping him out, “If you as so much even try to hurt her I will have your balls, understood?” So I was a bit extreme, oh-fucking-well this is my best friend we’re talking about.

Jake looked at me straight on and said, “Who’s going to protect me from her I’m more scared she’ll murder me if I don’t treat her less than a princess?!”

I had to laugh at that and nodded my head at him and snuck a wink at Sam, I don’t trust easily but this guy seemed decent and she smiled crookedly recognizing my approval of him.

“Alright you guys have fun I’m gonna go get me some cotton candy!” I told them and hugged Sam and whispered in her ear to text me when she got home.

            She nodded and tugged him towards the Ferris wheel. I walked towards the same booth that was selling cotton candy and asked for the blue cotton candy. The girl gave it to me and I paid her. I walked through the crowds of teen couples and families. It was just me and my cotton candy and I really was regretting not bringing a jacket. I was looking for somewhere to go while I killed some time before I had to go home. I found a little seating area secluded from all the people and sat down. I was spacing out when someone pinched my arm. I jumped and yelped at the same time ready to let the person have it when I turned my face and was less than an inch away from the most intoxicatingly beautiful hazel eyes surrounded by the curliest, blackest eyelashes any girl would be jealous of. I pushed the mystery guy with a hard shove and stood up quickly.

“What the fuck is your problem!?” I yelled at him. All I received in return was a annoying smirk and as annoying as it was I was completely overwhelmed by how big and manly this guy was.

“I cant wait till it happens.” He said simply and turned around and I saw his broad back walk away from me and mix with the crowd.

Wait, what?