Chapter 3: Face the Music

Disclaimer: read chapter 1

A/N 2020: First of all, let me just say, thank you all for taking the time to read and support this story. You have no idea how much this means to me. For those who don't know, yes, (sadly) I am remaking this story. My reason why is that I didn't like some of the details I put in. For example, two characters which I believe didn't have enough depth (not talking about Kathryn), and some unrealistic details were included in the book. As many of you know, my main character is based on my sister who has a degree in psychology. I asked her questions about the profession and wwyd scenarios if she was in Kathryn's situation, and she was very helpful. Fear not, her answers weren't Mary Sue. Some of her answers will keep this story alive. With that being said, I am making some minor changes, including major ones for chapters 15 and 16. Some of you are probably annoyed by this, I understand. Hope you keep an open mind and understand why I did what I did. Most importantly, I hope you enjoy this remake.

PS, if you are a fan of Birds of Prey and Roman Sionis, go check out my new fic 'Beyond Masks and Fish Nets'. Must warn you though it is a dark story, probably darker than this, so viewer discretion is advised. 

Kathryn returned to Arkham the next day. Taking Elise's advice, Kathryn made it to the top floor to speak with Dr. Arkham about Jonathan. She needed to tell him that this wasn't going to work out between her and Jonathan, and why Jonathan should be in question.

Kathryn faced Dr. Arkham's office and hesitantly knocked on the door.

"Come in," Jeremiah authorized. The woman opened the door and saw Doctor Arkham sitting behind his desk; his eyes on his papers.

"Dr. Arkham?" she called. The butterflies resumed the flutter in her stomach.

Jeremiah looked up at Kathryn with a small smile, "Ah. Dr. Knightly. Good morning. I hope you are doing well."

She forced a nod, "Yes, sir. I'm good, thanks."

"So," Doctor Arkham put his papers down, giving the psychologist his full attention, "how can I help you?"

"Um... I was wondering if you heard anything from Dr. Whistler."

Jeremiah sighed, "Yes, as a matter of fact, I received a call from her this morning. It turns she got the case of the stomach flu."

Kathryn cringed in disgust, "Really?"

"Yes... The conversation was very short, but I can tell that she isn't coming back to the hospital anytime soon."

"I hope she feels better soon."

"Me too," Jeremiah stared at Kathryn for a long minute, before shaking his head. "Sorry, Dr. Knightly. It's not going to happen."

Kathryn furrowed her brows in confusion, "What did you think I was going to say?"

"You want me to get you a new supervisor."

His guessing skills left the woman widening her eyes with amazement. He was good; Kathryn gave him points for that.

"Listen, Dr. Arkham, I know you're a busy man, and I know you're concern about my safety. Dr. Crane..." She couldn't help but say the name with a bitter taste, "he..."

"He what, Doctor?" he challenged.

"He's not a nice person," she declared helplessly.

Jeremiah Arkham snorted, almost amused by her reasoning.

"He's arrogant, bossy, and he threatened to fire me like he did to that last guy. The one who lasted two days."

"First of all, doctor, I have the final word whether to fire you or not. Second, I paid Dr. Crane to set the working example and keep you doctors in line. If he's giving you the firm hand of things, then I'm relieved to know he's living up to my standards. And as for the new guy, who lasted two days, he was fired for committing a zero-tolerance offense."