chapter 2

Chapter two

Three years later

Him with that man, panting in pleasure and not even noticing me with the horrified look on my face as I saw what they were doing. How could he have ruined this? How could he have done this to me? The one he proposed to and asked to married. What did I do wrong? What did I do to deserve this massive heartache? Those two years. Wasted. One year of dating, another married. Gone…

I pant as I wake up from the horrible nightmare. I feel cold sweat dripping down my forehead as I run my fingers through my dark brown hair. I dreamt of that night again…. I groan tiredly and cover my eyes with my hands. Remembering that night was hard, but dreaming about it? God that is too cruel. Hell, it’s brutal….  I curl up in my bed again. Maybe I can sleep for a little more….

The alarm blares to life and I groan. Then my German Shepherd, Cookie, runs to my bed and barks loudly, panting happily. I make my fingers into a gun shape and point it at Cookie without looking and mutter “Bang”. She yelps playfully and plays dead. I chuckle getting up and turning off the alarm.

“Revive,” I say and Cookie jumps up on me. I yelp as she had pushed me onto the bed still on me. She licks my face and I laugh. “Who’s my cute Cookie?” I pet her head and hug her. She’s the best dog ever…. Man’s best friend for sure. I smile and whistle. She barks and takes off; probably going to play with a chew toy. I grab a towel and some clothes. I have work today… Ugh….

As I make my way to the bathroom I pass by the calendar. August 8th…. I bite my lower lip and continue onto the bathroom. I really need a cold shower…

♂ ✯♂

I walk into the building and show them a quick look at my badge and then continue on to going into my office. I sit down in there and look through some files on my desk. It was a murder case. A seventeen year old girl had gone missing, only to be found slaughtered in the woods with her throat slit and her insides torn… I shut my eyes for a moment. Even though I’m a cop, sometimes I still can’t get over the sight of insides…and yet I have to perform the autopsy later. I shake my head and continue reading some of the reports.

“So how is it going, Colbie?” My friend, Emily, asks.

“Pretty good I think.”

“Excited for the autopsy later?”

“Mmm,” I hum nodding slightly and shrug “I dunno. Looking at a murdered person’s body sounds fun, but I want to avoid that other officer who is crushing on me even though I’ve told him that I’d prefer to be single for the rest of my life and die alone buried next to other dead people who don’t know me.”

“…You are so hard core…,” Emily says, her voice dripping with sarcasm. I chuckle and side-hug Emily.

“I would like to think so,” I murmur, reading the police report and she was reported missing for about a week. “Her wounds appear pretty fresh…,” I tell Emily.

“Well you won’t know for sure until the autopsy.”

“Please come with me… I don’t want that officer— Kyle I think? — to think he can grope me and flirt with me when no one’s around.” I shudder. Kyle was decent looking I guess, but I just didn’t really like him anyway… I’m not looking for love. I’m not looking for romance. Why can’t that idiot understand?!

“It wouldn’t kill you to date people would it?” Emily mutters, getting off my desk.

“It might as well….” I sigh. Love is something you can’t live with yet you can’t live without it. It can heal you, but it can break you down with the worse pain imaginable… I take a deep shuddering breath and close my eyes. Stop thinking about it. STOP! “Em, do you mind getting me some asprin please? I’m getting a headache now…”

“Uh sure…”

♂ ✯♂

I sigh as I drive back to my apartment. I day dream while I still try to pay attention to the road. I don’t get it though. I’ve done nothing wrong in life, I did great in school, and I’m nice, but why is it that I haven’t found love…? The right person with the right intentions…? I scoff to myself. I’m a man and I should already know that almost all men are pigs. I just can’t help, but sometimes dream up my happily ever after. Who am I kidding though? There is no such thing as happily ever after. There never was. Thank you Adrian. You’ve made me realize that my hope for love was just a Fairy Tale so in the end why bother finding love since nothing lasts forever… and love? It’s temporary happiness just waiting to be stabbed at.