Jealousy

I am writing this down in the hopes of clearing my name as best as I can and hopefully alert his future victims.

was at school the first time I saw him. He sat a few meters away, under a tree, as I walked out of the building with my friends. My attention was immediately drawn to him. I couldn't see him very clearly from the distance but I remember pointing him out to my friend just to have them look at me like I'd lost my mind and laugh it off. At the moment I figured they were playing me and just dropped it. Later that night, I walked into the dining room only to be startled at the sight of him sitting in the empty chair next to my mother. I could only stand and stare at the sight of him up close. His dark messy hair, high cheekbones, black lips, as if he was wearing lipstick, pulled into a smirk. He would have been beautiful if it hadn't been for the minty green shade of his skin and those eyes, disturbing eyes. Solid black. When my father asked why I wasn't sitting down, what I was staring at, I realized they weren't seeing him. Was I crazy? If I was, I didn't want to be sent to some mental institution, and so I sat down and ate dinner with my parents trying my best to ignore him. He simply sat and stared at me, that smirk never leaving his face.

 From that night on he followed me everywhere. There was no way for me to get rid of him and his presence remained unnoticed to everyone else. He never said a word, he just followed me around, with that smirk on his face. Sometimes he would hum, in a deep voice, the sound of a song I had never heard. During the first few weeks of him following me, I didn't really notice anything wrong, he didn't seem interested in harming me, or others, and so I was starting to get used to him being there. Little did I know he'd been working his magic the whole time. I'd always had a bit of a jealousy problem. I was never truly content with what I had and always wanted what others had. Never more than another, I would never cause trouble for it or anything, just a feeling I lived with. The augmentation started slowly and so I never noticed until it was too late. I was increasingly jealous of everyone and everything. I started hating everyone slowly, why did they deserve more than I did? Who did they think they were?? I turned to thievery first, stealing the things they had that I didn't. Every time I did, he would chuckle. He was nothing but a blur in my mind at this point, my thoughts were completely consumed with jealousy. Soon, stealing wasn't enough. 

The first time I killed someone all I felt was pleased. She was dating the boy I liked. She didn't deserve him, and so I killed her in the girl's bathroom. I waited for her body to be discovered before trying to get him for my own. He rejected me, pretty brutally. I don't understand why he was so concerned about her death. I killed him too. That day was a massacre. Once I started, I couldn't stop. I killed the girl who got on the cheerleading squad when I hadn't. I killed the boy who got better grades than me in math class. I killed the girl whose skirt I wanted. I killed the boy who had the latest version of a cellphone I wish I had. I killed my teacher for being an adult when I was still so young. I killed the boy whose pencil was longer than mine. I cannot even recall everyone I killed that day. By the time the police got there I'd run away. I could hear him behind me, humming loudly, only stopping once in a while to chuckle, as if remembering what'd I'd done.

 I am home now, my parents lay dead downstairs for owning a house when I didn't. The police is coming, I know. I am in my closet, hiding from him. I finally understand who he is. Jealousy, the green monster. Funny, right? I should've guessed earlier. He made me do those things. He...possessed me. It's not my fault...I didn't mean to... I hear him now, chuckling outside the closet door. He's gotten all he could out of me. I should've figured it out sooner...I'm sorry. I can hear him laughing now, as I finish typing this. A real laugh this time, maniacal, disturbing. I wish I'd never heard it. The gun laying in my lap glimmers as I shift my weight. If he comes for you, there really is nothing you can do. I'm sorry. He feeds on death. That's why he wasn't satisfied with my stealing. I will feed him one last time. His laugh is getting louder. He's waiting, he knows what's coming. Hopefully he will be full for a little while.

 Goodbye.