How Miso became Miso

[A/N: yep, My little clown is back! This is just really her background story, how she came to be and do what she does. It gives a little explanation to some of the things in the first story, like why she moves the way she does and why she actually kills people.]

When Kaylee was 6 years old, she was terrified of the dark. She could barely bring herself to fall asleep every night as the thought of closing her eyes scared her so much. Her father was kind and wished he could find a way to alleviate her fears but nothing he did seemed to help. One day, as young Kaylee was playing in her room, her father waltzed in grinning ear to ear. "Kaylee honey, I've finally found what I was looking for!" The young girl's eyes widened in wonder as her father revealed what he was hiding behind his back. She was a beautiful puppet, a clown, purple and blue. Strings attached to every joint made it possible to make her dance and move in jerky but funny movements. "Her name is Miso" her father explained, "and she brings happiness to all children!" Kaylee was as amazed as a 6 year old would be, which is, a lot. "She will get rid of all bad feelings, including your fear, and make sure you're always happy and smiling". Her father placed the puppet into her arms carefully and Kaylee couldn't help but hug her little clown doll as tightly as she could. "Miso like smile?" She asked her father, "like mama used to say?" Her father smiled. His wife had been Korean and had a habit of slipping Korean words here and there. Miso had been one of her favourites. She would make sure to say it whenever little Kaylee wasn't wearing her usual, bright smile. She'd had such a fear of her daughter being sad. Kaylee's mother had passed away about a year ago, unable to cope with her depression any longer she had taken her own life. "Yes, Miso like smile".

That night, Kaylee was still fearful, until Miso spoke to her that is. As she hugged her new puppet tightly in her arms, Kaylee was startled when a figure appeared at the end of her bed. Only for a second was she scared though as when she focused her eyes she realized that the figure sitting at the end of her bed was in fact a real size version of her puppet. "You're going to get all tangled up in my strings, darling" were the first words out of the clown's mouth. Indeed, the strings of the puppet were all tangled up, the wooden piece they were tied to hung over the side of the bed. Kaylee didn't know how to respond and simply sat up in awe. "aw, you're all scared" Miso said, "that won't do at all!" That night, Kaylee laughed and played with her new friend and felt more happiness than she had in the last year. Her father had to come check on her once or twice when she laughed to loudly. He would come in and she would laugh a bit more and he would leave happy after telling her to go back to sleep. Not once did he even glance at the life size clown.

From that point on, Kaylee and Miso became inseparable. Her father was pleased, his daughter was happy and it was all thanks to him. He hadn't expected her to get so attached to the random puppet he had bought on sale but he was glad she liked it. He had to admit he was a bit creeped out by the thing and slightly disturbed when Kaylee spoke of Miso being a real person only she could see but he understood imaginary friends and would put up with just about anything for his baby to smile. Kaylee was completely happy, for the next few years, Miso was her best friend and followed her everywhere, her jerky movements as if still controlled by strings never failed to make her laugh. As time went past, Kaylee neglected making friends, she didn't need any, she had Miso. She had not a single friend at school and the other kids called her names and said she was crazy when she spoke to nothing. Kaylee didn't care. She had Miso. Miso made her happy. When she reached the age of twelve, still with no "real" friends other than her imaginary one, her father became worried. He knew she needed to make friends with real kids and felt that the only way to get her to socialize was to get rid of the clown. While she was at school, he walked into her room and took the puppet who was now hung to the ceiling as more of a decoration than a toy. He brought the puppet into the attic where he locked her in an old chest he had. This way, Kaylee would never find her. He felt bad of course, but figured Kaylee would get over it quickly enough and would be able to start living life as a normal child. The following year was hell. Kaylee hated her father for taking Miso away from her, she refused to attempt to make friends and suffered silently through the incessant bullying. Her father got a new job and worked most of the time. Slowly, as she gave up on finding her friend, Kaylee tumbled head first into a deep state of depression. She would barely leave her room, didn't feel like eating, no longer spoke to her father at all. She contemplated her life and felt more connected to her mother than she ever had.

During this time, Miso laid locked away in that damn chest. She couldn't bring her spirit to leave the puppet, couldn't move, couldn't speak. All she could do was feel Kaylee's pain and let it slowly consume her.

On that faithful day, as 13 year old Kaylee's neck snapped, so did something in Miso. With all the pain she felt turned into strength, Miso broke out of her puppet and out of the chest.

That night she watched as Kaylee's father discovered his daughter's body, swinging from the ceiling, a pretty clown puppet swinging from her strings at her side. As he fell to his knees, Miso jerkily came up behind him, her pretty smile now too large, forced looking. Her sharp teeth glinted in the light as she brought up the pair of gardening shears she had gotten from the garage. Kaylee's father turned around slowly as her shadow fell upon him and she pushed the shears through his chest as hard as she could as he stared at her in both wonder and horror. She stabbed repeatedly, again and again. When there was nothing left to the man that had stopped her from bringing happiness and had caused the death of her best friend but a bloody mess, she slowly proceeded to bring Kaylee's body down. She held her in her arms as she stroked her hair. "Where's that pretty smile of yours?" she asked softly, bringing the shears up again. She observed her work as she stood up, a large bloody smile cut into young Kaylee's face. "Now you can be happy" she whispered, "Miso". Smile.

Miso was not angry or murderous, she was sad actually. Sad that so much sadness existed in the world. She would make it her job, she decided, to make everyone happy. To make them smile...