1

I haven't eaten in three days. My hair is gross, and my clothes are in a sad state. I've run out of money, and I'm spending the night on a cold metal bench here in Houston, Texas. I'm supposed to be in Dallas, but I somehow managed to hitch a ride over here with a church choir. The cops'll catch me any day. I'll be hauled back across the state and delivered into the hands of my foster dad, Jerry, who will promptly lock me in the hall closet, just like he always does when I misbehave. Only this time, there's no telling when I'll be let out. Ah, speaking of cops, here comes one now. Please don't notice me, I pray as he walks by. No such luck.
"Where are your parents, kid?" He asks, looking down at my worn-out converse, which are two sizes two small. I decide to just go ahead and tell him the truth. Lying wont help me now. After I finish telling my sad tale, he nods and smiles sympathetically.
"I hate to break it to you, kid-"
"Sarah Beatrice," I say.
"Sarah Beatrice," he continues, "But it looks like I'm gonna have to take you back to Dallas."
I sighed and nodded.
"Lead the way, Officer-?" I say.
"Officer Reyes," He says, "And my car's right over here." Officer Reyes points towards the car, which is right across the street. Then he and I walk over to the car and get in. Since I'm only 13, I have to sit in the back. Like a criminal.