Chapter 45: The Other Side

Zara burst into the bathroom, her face contorted in absolute grief. She allowed herself to cry like she had never cried before—Zara didn't wipe away the tears, the runny nose, the drool down the side of her mouth. Her eyes were red and puffy, and tendrils of hair stuck to her sweaty face. Her cries resembled donkey brays; it was a miracle that the mirrors hadn't shattered from her hideousness.

Zara slammed the palm of her hand down onto the tap and splashed water onto her face, over and over, until it grew numb and water dripped down her neck, into her shirt. Shivers ran down her spine from the cold, like the sense of abandonment that washed over her. When Max had told her that he was now hated by his friends, Zara hadn't thought much of it. After all, she still had all of her own friends.

Not anymore. They may not have beat her black and blue, but the betrayal was an even greater physical blow. So many people had come and go in her life, and for once she had obtusely placed her trust in them, showing parts of her she hadn't dared show to others.

But where did this all lead her to? Hovering over the sink in the school bathroom, crying her eyes out, alone.

I knew you couldn't trust them, the voice began its vicious cycle of aspersion.

Zara kept her eyes on the soap dispenser, willing it to go away. Of course it wouldn't, it never did as it was told, but it was worth a try.

I warned you back at the lair, but did you listen? Nope. You never listen to me, ever!

Hate to admit it, but she's right.

Something made her lift her head up to her reflection in the mirror. Except that it wasn't exactly her reflection.

That Zara wore glasses, had brown eyes, and had her hair up in a ponytail.

The real one almost jumped out of her skin.

"What-what—" Zara stumbled backwards into the bathroom stall. She tripped over her own feet, and in the attempt to regain her balance, grabbed onto the stall-door, nearly ripping it off its hinges. Her hair swept a breath away from the toilet seat, but Zara managed to recompose herself, even though her limbs were bent at awkward angles.

Don't panic. It's just another hallucination.

Oh, don't give me that.

The reflection adjusted her glasses. Pull yourself together.

Zara straightened and tentatively walked over to the mirror She placed her hand on the face of the reflection, but it snorted in response.

"Wh-who are you?" Zara wrenched her hand away from the mirror and chewed the inside of her cheek.

The reflection rolled her eyes, her voice reverberating in Zara's head.

I'm Zara. I mean...I'm you. I'm that person you become every time you, She snapped her fingers, and her head lolled to one side, tongue rolling out, Pass out.

"So like...an alter-ego."

Yeah, you can say that. I'm the more quiet, studious, reserved side. An introvert. I never react to things as explosively as you do, nor participate in any of those crimes.

Zara nodded slowly, letting that information sink in. "Why are you here?"

Because I never get a chance to come out anymore! You're always on edge, always fighting...and now that you gained this emotional attachment to Max... She threw her hands up in the air and turned away, Why him? Out of all people? He's the one that ruined your life! Turned all your friends away! Alter-Zara wasn't exactly shouting, but she was on the verge of doing so.