Chapter 11: The End of the Begining

Chapter 11: The End of the Beginning

Many years had passed and by now Peter should have been much, much older than he was, yet he was still a young child. Peter now had six Lost Boys, two of them were twins. Peter did not understand how two people could look exactly alike, so he called them simply “The Twins.”  To avoid confusion, the Twins tried to say everything at the same time and act as one person. It took Peter a while to get used to them, but eventually he did.

All was well for Peter. He had the boys to play with. The Indians, Fairies, and Mermaids were all his friends. He had Captain Hook to taunt. Still, something was missing to him. He didn’t know what it was, so in hope to find out, he went to Chief Pitalesharo for help.

Peter sat with the Chief around the fire when Pitalesharo spoke, “Tell me what you feel that makes you think something wrong.”

“I don’t really understand it. I miss something, I just don’t know what it is.”

“Maybe you can think of your life before you came to Neverland and figure out what you miss most of then?”

“Oh! Good idea,” Peter hadn’t thought about his life in New York since he met Tinker Bell. He tried, and tried, but he couldn’t remember anything, “I… I can’t remember anything, anything that would help me that is.”

Pitalesharo raised his eyebrow, “Nothing?”

“Absolutely nothing.”

“Maybe you should just keep trying?”

        So Peter did. Everyday he took time to try and remember, and each time he didn’t succeed.

“Boys,” Peter said as he and his Lost Boys ate dinner together.

All the boys looked towards him.

“Do any of you remember your life before Neverland?” Peter wasn’t thinking practically about the fact that they were all babies when he acquired them and that no one could possibly remember when they were babies.

“We didn’t always live in Neverland?” the Twins asked.

Peter shook his head.

“I thought we had,” said Nibs.

Curley and Tootles agreed with Nibs.

“No,” Peter shook his head, “The Fairies brought you to me.”

“I remember some,” Slightly claimed.

“You do?” Peter stood and shouted, “Maybe you can help me then?”

“I have to think about it to make sure I have it just right, but as soon as I do I will help you, Father,” Slightly smiled, truly believing that he remembered.

“Thank you,” Peter smiled, “Think fast, Slightly.”

“I will try, Father.”

        Peter waited weeks for Slightly to remember, but of course it was in vain, since Slightly knew nothing of his life before Neverland. One calm, sunny day, Peter was flying high above the trees and thinking aloud, “Was I ever not in Neverland? Pitalesharo said I was, but if I can’t remember anything before here, what proof do I have that I wasn’t born here? Oh yeah, Tink said that she found me crying in a place called KensingtonGardens… I must be from there!”

        Peter rushed to the Fairies whom Tinker Bell was visiting with. “Tink come here, I need to talk to you, it’s important!”

Tink quickly flew to Peter.