Run

As soon as we saw walkers coming from all directions we began to panic. Daryl ran over taking out walkers surrounding. "Come on!" He said as we frantically followed him into the prison. Once we got into cell block c, Maggie grabbed Sean for me and held him close. "Thank you." I said as quick as I could. Daryl yelled "Go upstairs! Hurry! Lock yourselves in the guard room!" They did as he said and the moment I tried to take a step I winced in pain. "There's no way I'll make it up there!" I responded. Daryl grabbed my waist pulling me along with him as a stumbled behind him. "Come on let's make it to the tombs!" He yelled. Walkers began straggling behind us. "Leave me! I'm already dead- you have a chance if you leave me! I'm just slowing you down." He stopped right there dead in his tracks ignoring the walkers coming close behind. "Lucien, I'm not leaving you. We'll do this together." Tears began welling up as his positivity reminded me of my late husband. "Why?" I mumbled. "Because. I've cared about you since I first saw you and Sean walking through the tree line. I didn't know how much until now." For a moment we endured the moment until snarling walkers were just feet away. "Come on let's go!" Instead of me walking behind, he picked me up bridal style and began to run. A few minutes later we found a door for a broom closet with a hatch- lock and Daryl quickly slid and and slammed the door shut locking it. He was panting and sweating not only from running but it was really hot down here in the tombs. He set me down and I balanced on one leg only barely depending on my gashed leg. Minutes passed and began to feel like hours. All that could fill my head was worry. Is Sean okay? Did Maggie and the rest get to the guards room safely? Are Rick and Glenn okay? Daryl mud have noticed because he put a hand on my shoulder and reassuringly told me: "We're going to me okay." Simple and brief but it was enough to calm me down. It took me a while to realize how close me and Daryl were. I began to blush though our faces were already read with sweat. I chuckled at myself for be thinking about something so light at a time the was so dark. "What?" Daryl perked up. "Nothing..." He looked me in the eye. I stared straight back. I had never noticed how deeply blue his eyes were. Beautiful but scarred. I examined his face. Imperfectly perfect. I've never noticed. I guess I've never been close enough I guess. I couldn't afford to think like that. If I let the walls I built up fall, they'll be much harder to build back up. If I ever could love him, I'd probably lose him. But I couldn't help myself. He smirked when he noticed I was liking all over his face. Shit. He noticed. All of the sudden two rough dirt covered hands wrapped aground my face cupping my cheeks perfectly. My heart began to race. I didn't know if I was imaging- I didn't have time to think. Before i could analyze what was happening, he pressed his lips to mine. I accepted for a second then pulled away. I didn't want to- but I had too. I can't. I can't fall for him. "I'm sorry- I shouldn't have.." He awkwardly remarked. "No, Daryl- that's not it. It was rather nice it's just..." "What?" He demanded. "I can't ever love you... Everyone I love I seem to always lose." He thought over what I said then replied "I would never leave you and I never will." The tears welling up in my eyes threatened to push over the edge but I didn't let them. He could never see that I'm weak.
____________________________
after sitting and talking quietly for a few more hours the walker groans were extremely quiet to none being heard at all. Daryl un-hatched the door then slowly stepped out pointing crossbow first. After seeing there were no walkers he stretched out a hand for me and I grabbed it. He pulled me up then proceeded to put a hand around my waist. This time it seemed like he was holding me for more than just supporting me. We cautiously made our way out of the tombs and back into the cell block. I stood at the end of the stairs. "Wait here. Yell if anything happens- I'll be right back." He ran up the stairs straight past the second floor of cells right to the guard room were the rest of the women were. Minutes later he came back with only Beth and Carl. Beth was holding Sean. I was relieved for a moment before it kicked in that Lori and Maggie were not with them. I noticed Beth had tears welling up in her eyes and Carl looked like he was in so much pain. Then, Maggie slowly approached the top of the stairs. Her hands were covered in blood and she was holding tight to something small. Then I realized. It was a baby. Maggie began sobbing. I forgot about my leg and hobbled up the stairs best I could Daryl meeting me half way to help me the rest of the way. I swatted him away "I don't need your help!" He backed off hesitantly. Tears began rolling down my cheeks. When I reached the top of the stairs I leaned on Maggie both of us crying. Beth seemed to be in shock and Carl was broken. Completely broken. I glanced down a ways at the guards room to see Lori's lifeless bloody body on the floor with a bullet whole in her head. I could see clearly from here and I didn't want to get any closer. I can't take seeing her like that. I began to quiver. I noticed Carl was grasping his gun tightly. He did it. Carl had to shoot his own mom. I put a hand on his shoulder and he jerked it away and ran down the stairs. No one tried to stop him. After all what could you do? What can you say? I took in what had happened. I had lost a friend. She left a helpless baby behind as well as a scarred and broken son. And Rick. Rick is going to be just as broken as Carl. I had no place to feel bad for myself. "We need to tell Rick." Daryl, Beth and Maggie hesitantly agreed. Even Daryl had tears in his eyes. Once we got to the court yard, we saw Glenn, Rick, and Carol standing in a group. I didn't see T-dog. I assumed the worst. Rick turned and saw us with a smile on his face. Once he saw Lori wasn't with us, his smile faded in to a confused face. "Lo-Lori?" He whispered. Maggie walked out from behind us holding the tiny baby wrapped in tattered  clothing. Glenn quickly ran to her supporting her from almost falling. Rick didn't even acknowledged  the baby or Carl. He fell to the ground and began yelling "No, no... No." Until his pleads became tears. I took Sean from Beth's arms- he looked confused and frightened. "Shh... Mommys here..." I whispered through my tears. I held his head close to my chest so he didn't have to see what was going on. Daryl walked to me and wrapped his arms around me. I didn't reject it this time. I leaned on him and bagan to sob. I can't believe everything that just happened.
___________________________
AN: hey guys! I'm trying to update more now! I know these past chapters have been somewhat depressing... They'll get better I promise! Don't forget to comment questions and thoughts on the story! Love you guys!
~ Amy