Chapter 10 ~ Birthday Girl

Hanbin's eyes widened as he grabbed the letter, his other hand clenching into a tight ball.

I reached out for the letter, wanting to reread it.

Inside held a card, beautifully done, in the shade of a soft pink, with a sweet rose fragance emitting from it. The front of the card was decorated with white lace, dotting the edges elegantly, with 'To Hyemi & Hanbin' engraved on it in black italic font.

I opened it up again, breathing in the rose frangant, which was somehow nauseating all of a sudden.

The inside was also adorned with the same lace patterns, forming a heart shape in the center of the card.

Inside the heart shape formed by the white lace wrote this;

"You are invited to a birthday party that will take place at the Royal Ball Hotel on 4th March, 2019.

Please be in formal wear and bring along presents. :)

But Hyemi, of course there's no need for you to bring along presents. Just coming would be a gift enough for me.

I can't wait to see the two of you again!!! Especially you, Hanbin:-)

-Seyun"

"Seyun." Hanbin whispered, disbelieve and shock apparent in his expression.

"Isn't she supposed to be on jail?" I glanced at him, eyes wide with shock.

We've just been discussing about her being in jail, and yet now here was this letter, defying all our believes of justice having been served.

Here was an invitation from Seyun. An invitation to what? Hell?

"Must have escaped. Or got bailed out. I guess she's rich, having a party at such a grand and expensive hotel."

He shrugged, his eyebrows creased with worry.

I nodded slowly, thinking things over.

"No. I know what you're thinking about. We're not going."

Hanbin said, scrunching the letter and card up into a tiny wrecked ball.

I kept quiet, pondering things over.

If I were still the Hyemi a year ago, I would have agreed. Would have suggested not to go, would have tried my best to wiggle out of this mess and run away from my fears.

I've always been this way, running again and again, from my fears, from my problems, from anything that I didn't want to do.

If I were the Hyemi a year ago, I would have been so scared of going to the party, afraid that Seyun would hurt me. Afraid that she would try to sedice Hanbin.

Of course, I didn't mind meeting her if she was already behind bars, but this was different. She was free to do whatever she pleased, and there would be no barrier protecting me from her. I would be even more vulnerable than I already was.

She'd already traumatized me and done so much harm, who knows what else she's willing to do?

But this time, I didn't want to be afraid anymore, I didn't want to run away from my fears anymore. I wanted to be brave, to face and defeat them, just like what Hanbin would have done.

I wanted to give Seyun a piece of my mind, to show that I wasn't scared of her, that I was going to protect myself and Hanbin from her. I wanted to prove that she couldn't hurt us. I also wanted to persuade her to turn over a new leaf, if she hasn't done so already.