Playing Cards

Rick stared at the man, his gaze never turned to him, only to the wall or floor. Just never at him.

"You wanna explain this?"Rick said, but now all Preacher could do was chuckle.

"What do you want? Answers to questions you don't even need to know about?"Preacher said as he walked towards them...

Then that's when Rick noticed it.

His eyes, his glossy eyes that just screamed it all. Preacher arched a brow although he knew Rick was staring, he sighed and shook his head.

"You can't think just cause it's living Hell out there, that there ain't some disables out there fighting."Preacher explained which confused Daryl, who had been wondering what the two were talking about the whole time.

"What are y'all--"Daryl stopped talking the exact moment he saw Preacher's eyes.

He blinked as he saw them, a serious face that owned two blueish-grey eyes. Both men kept staring, causing Preacher to shuffle a bit sensing the silent awkwardness.

"I can feel that."he growled when he felt the gist of wind as Daryl waved his hand in front of him.

"Sorry."the redneck mumbled before looking back at Rick for the next order.

"You got no one?"Rick asked and Preacher looked down.

"My group ditched me, called me dead weight and practically left me to die."he explained and Rick nodded before looking at Daryl.

"Daryl and I can take you back to our people, keep you safe."Rick explained, but all Preacher did was smile as he shook his head.

"That's cute, taking me in and what not, but I'll get through by mysel--" "You're blind."Daryl cut Preacher off,"Just cause you made it this far don't mean you'll survive for long."

Preacher scoffed,"Oh really? Then tell me,"he began and turned his face right at Daryl's,"how does a man from Texas get this far?"

Preacher's face moved back to the ground and his ears slightly perked, his gaze hardened,"We ain't got time to waste now, growlers about a mile and a half away, big ass group too."

"You can hear from that far?"Rick questioned and all Preacher could do was nod.

"If we move now we can try to avoid them, just don't go..."Preacher paused then slowly pointed behind him.

"Should we move the group?"Daryl asked.

Rick pondered before nodding,"If you're accurate about your directions then--" "That means you might wanna move fast."Preacher said and all three began to head out, Daryl's hand quickly guiding Preacher.

+++

Everyone's eyes widened at the new guest, they all saw the way he looked and immediately felt frightful.

"Everyone,"Rick began as he broke the silence.

The group then stared at their leader as he placed his hand on Preacher's shoulder,"this is Preacher,he's...he's,uh...he's--" "He's blind."Daryl spat as he snapped his fingers in front of Preacher's face.

Preacher grabbed his arm and pushed it away,"I think they get it."he said and cleared his throat.

"I was gonna say that due to his condition that...he'll stick with us for the time being until it's safe."Rick explained.

"What do you mean safe?"Carol questioned.

"It's gonna be fine, just a herd of walkers coming in and we're gonna need to move."Daryl explained as he looked at Preacher.

Preacher blinked as he stared at the ground, his ears perked and his facial expression was serious.

"You okay?"Rick asked which pulled Preacher out of his train of thought.

Preacher looked up and nodded,"Just trying to hear them. There's some in the woods..."he pointed to his left,"that way and a few..."he pointed behind him.

"How long we got?"Hershel asked as he packed bags.

Preacher paused for a moment, his eyes staring at the ground like he was trying to burn a hole through it,"About ten,twelve minutes tops."

"Alright lets go, the farther the better."Rick ordered and as they were about to leave, he turned to see Preacher still not moving.

"You need hel--" "No, I'll be fine. I can stay here and keep 'em busy."Preacher stated and all Rick did was look down.

"Look, you could come with us. Stay in our group and we can keep you safe."Rick tried.

Preacher looked at the ground for a bit, he blinked and let his ears perk when he heard heartbeats. Not just theirs or his, but...

"Who's pregnant?"he asked as he turned his head.

Everyone looked at Lori who had been standing there with Carl the whole time,"I am."she said and Preacher nodded.

"Congratulations."he said then turned himself.

He pulled his hand out and waited, the group stared before Rick grabbed it hesitantly. Preacher felt the hand then pulled his bag off of himself, he opened the bag and rummaged through before taking out all the Braille books then he handed the bag to Rick.

"There's some food and water for you guys..." "No."Rick said as he rejected the offer. "It ain't much, but..." "We are not taking your bag, Preacher, we're taking you too."Rick tried to reason, but Preacher just scoffed as he lowered the bag to the ground.

He held his books close then turned back around, he began to walk before stopping right in front of a couch then easily sat down.

"Y'all got six minutes."he warned and everyone quickly left.

Rick stopped for a moment and turned to Preacher who had opened one of the books, Rick blinked as he watched.

"Rick, come on!"T-Dog called, but Rick ignored them and closed the door .

Rick walked towards the couch before sitting down.

"What the hell are you doing?"Preacher asked and could hear the man sigh as he leaned back against the couch.

"You ever think about what it's like on the other side?"Rick said causing Preacher to blink confusingly.

"What are you doing,Rick?"Preacher hissed.

"I think it's all Hell over there too."Rick stated as he looked down at his gun.

Preacher scoffed and shook his head,"If y'all take me...it's pretty much like taking a walking growler meal."

Rick sighed as he picked up another book,he could hear walkers just faintly.
Preacher pursed his lips and balled his hands into fists,"Rick,go."he growled out, but the sheriff just ignored him and grabbed one of Preacher's books.

He opened it and saw all the dots, no words or pictures, just dots.

"Never read Braille before."Rick muttered then looked at Preacher,"Maybe you can teach me."

The growls grew louder and all Preacher did was glare before standing,"Leave."he ordered as he stood in front of Rick.

"Fine, lets go. The two--" "No. Just you, my days are up,man, and...and maybe it is--"Preacher stopped and blocked the hand coming from behind him, he raised his fists and waited.

"Easy,Preach, now come on the both of ya."it was Daryl.

Preacher stood normal,"Look, you guys seem like good people, but if you take me...I'll just slow you down."

There was silence in the room. Rick looked at Daryl, who just sighed calmly as he kept his crossbow raised, walkers were here and some were at the back door already.
Daryl looked at Rick now and nodded once before looking at Preacher.

"Bullshit."