Existing in Radiance

Existing in

             Radiance

Prologue

London, November 1981

            A new life settled over Hazel like fresh snow, seeping into her bones and radiating through her with ferocity. It was intense as it healed the first few cracks, fuelled her with such hope and purpose.

It was an odd sensation to return to a place that had represented so much bitterness for so long, yet now…now all Hazel saw was a ruin, something that had lost all meaning.

The building was grey, the pavement was too; the structure itself seemed a little worse for wear, and Hazel felt nothing as she stared up at it. There was a small round circle of dirt beyond the gates surrounded by a few equally grey bricks – she suspected that’s were the tree had once stood.

It occurred to Hazel that this is where it had all begun, that those gates that had supposedly been built to keep people out but in truth kept them all in – they had held her prisoner and kept her in once place long enough for the rest of her life to begin.

Mo had walked down these very streets, unsure of which child he would take home that day and alter their path so drastically any other doors – even the ones that stood ajar – were slammed shut. If for some reason Hazel had not been chosen to see Mo that morning over fifteen years ago, where would she be now? Maybe she would have gone to Hogwarts, possibly she would have been over looked – either way, maybe, just maybe, she would be happy.

Looking over her shoulder, Hazel imagined a different version of herself walking down the street, hand in hand with a faceless man, a pram pushed in front of them. She would stop very suddenly, realize where she now stood was the same place she had longed to as a child. The faceless man would put an arm around her, turn her gaze back to him and kiss her ever so sweetly.

The vision faded, and Hazel returned to looking up at the orphanage. The upper windows were mostly drawn over by dingy curtains, but the linen shifted briefly, a small face peering out.

Tilting her head slightly, Hazel watched the child’s eyes widen, its peaky features turn surprised as she stood frozen. Lifting a gloved hand, Hazel waved and smiled; the girl hesitated only briefly, and then waved back.

“Hazel.” Remus was walking down the street, pushing the twins’ pram. They stood out in the London scene, she knew this, but somehow the long coats and old fashioned prams made her remember an earlier time when it was so much simpler. “We should be getting home; the twins are fussing.”

Leaning over the pram, Hazel was warmed at the sight of her children, wearing Weasley sweaters under winter coats and several blankets. Their little hands were in tight fists inside their mittens, and they as close together as possible.

“I know.” She said, taking one last look at the orphanage “I just…I’m not sure.”

Smiling, Remus put an arm around her waist and brushed a stray curl from her face “You don’t have to be sure of anything, Hazel.”

It wasn’t a soft, sweet kiss, and there was no ring on her finger- but Hazel figured she was as close to that hazy dream as she may ever get.

A/N: Okay! Now that's started, we can all look forward to the next...seventeen years of Hazel's life? Oops, was that a spoiler? It may have been. But it was a tad obvious, wasn't it?

Question: What are you most looking forward to in the sequel? 

I know what I'm looking forward to...Andrew and Sonia!

Hope you enjoyed, and please please pretty please tell me what you think!

Rose<3

P.S I need a series name...I can't think of one.