Chapter 1

Contestants remaining: Kai - Fire, Jay - Lightning, Cole - Earth, Lloyd Garmadon - Energy, Skylor - Amber, Karlof - Metal, Griffin Turner - Speed, Paleman - Light, Tox - Poison, Neuro - Mind, Ash - Smoke, Bolobo - Nature, Gravis - Gravity, Jacob - Sound, Camille - Form, Shade - Shadow, Riptide- water, Twilight- wind 

Losers: none yet

Kai's Account

The ship drew near to the island where Kai knew Zane was, hovering in the water just a few yards away. Kai eyed the shore with longing, hoping for a glance of his friend's face. Although Kai had found a new job in the Slither Pit, the pain of Zane's sacrificial death had never truly faded. When the picture of Zane and the invitation to win him back had arrived, he'd been all too glad to go find him. The others called him a reckless, impulsive hothead, but Kai knew they were just as eager to see Zane's return to the team. As the surprisingly steady boat plowed through the waves, Kai could hear the sound of distant chanting growing louder. He shifted his weight nervously. What awaited them on the island? He wondered. Suddenly, the ship lurched and he clung to the railing to avoid bring thrown into the sea. "Hello, everyone, and welcome to the Tournament of Elements!" A booming voice echoed over the loudspeaker. "I'm your host, Master Chen! My kabuki will show you to your rooms once you step ashore, and then you will have ten minutes to change before gathering in the main hall for the first event! Have fun!" Kai groaned inwardly. He didn't want to do anything exhausting after the interminably boring, mind-numbing boat ride, but he dragged himself ashore. A woman in a kimono with her black hair in a bun led him to his room. Kai guessed she was a kabuki. He filed the fact away for later, in case it was ever important, but the thought of important facts was all but forgotten as he beheld his room. Had it been made for him? The pictures of himself, the training course, the bed with the fire symbol on it... Kai sighed happily. It was perfect. Just perfect. He glanced at the clock and suddenly noticed he only had six and a half minutes left to prepare. Throwing on the tournament suit he found in his closet, he dashed out the door into the hallway. Sliding down the stairway in true ninja fashion, he made his way to the main hall, where everyone else was waiting for him. Slightly embarrassed, he took a seat next to Sensei Garmadon, who offered the ever-comforting "You're late.". Smirking at Kai, Master Chen swiveled his chair to face them. "We have no time to waste. There are sixteen jade blades. They look like this." He held one up, as well as a hand to stop the nervous chattering sparking through the hall. "Yes, only sixteen. Two of you will fail today, while the rest carry on to glorious victory! Whichever elemental masters left without a jade blade lose. Is that clear?" Kai nodded. He sure hoped he'd have as jade blade. The prospect of losing and what it entailed didn't seem thrillingly fun to Kai. "Ready...GO!" Kai snapped out of his thoughts as Master Chen's assistant- what was his name? Claude? Clouse?- rang a gong to symbolize the beginning of the tournament. Kai raced off, hoping to spot a jade blade somewhere. Suddenly, a glint of green by a high window caught his eye. "Twelve jade blades left!" Chen's voice called. Wasting no time, Kai began climbing up towards the window, just as a streak of white and red zipped past. "Thanks!" Griffin Turner said, smiling infuriatingly. "Give that back!" Kai began, but the master of speed was already speeding away towards the main hall. Thinking quickly, Kai anticipated where he'd move next and hurled a bolt of Fire into Griffin's path. Shrieking, Griffin stopped, trying to put out the fire. Kai ran by and grabbed the jade blade, running as fast as he could to the main hall. Griffin easily caught up to him, but Kai blasted him away with fire and kept running. Handing the blade to Chen, the sank back down, breathing heavily. Master Chen smiled evilly, seeing Turner in the doorway. "Losers!" He yelled, smiling maniacally and pressing a button on his chair. A trapdoor opened beneath Griffin and Paleman, eliminating them both from the Tournament. "Fascinating," Chen said with a deranged chuckle. "Playtime's over, children! Time for bed!" And on that odd note, the remaining contestants were escorted back to their rooms for the night.