Chapter 16

Alright, who's excited for the mystery competition? :D

Contestants remaining (2): Kai - Fire, Twilight- wind

Losers (16): Griffin Turner-speed, Paleman-light, Karloff-metal, Cole- Earth, Bolobo-Nature, Gravis-Gravity, Jacob-Sound, Ash-Smoke, Shade-Shadow, Neuro-Mind, Camille-form, Tox-Poison, Lloyd Garmadon- Energy, Jay-lightning Riptide-water, Skylor-Ambe

Kai woke up and opened his eyes, the room slowly swimming into focus around him. Kai frowned. Only he and Twilight were left. As much as he hated the idea, he was going to have to knock Twilight out of the competition. Kai sighed. He didn't want Twilight to lose, but what about Zane? Kai knew that Zane was counting on him to win him back, so they could all return home safely. Kai blinked. Where would Twilight go after the competition? Would she go home? Where was her home? Kai shook himself. He needed to win. From this point on, even Twilight was competition, despite any feelings he might or might not have about her. He walked out onto his balcony to clear his head. Maybe the fresh air would help. He took a deep breath, the refreshing scent of the morning mist still in the air. Feeling much better, he strode back inside. Slurping down some of Chen's noodles for breakfast, he briefly glanced outside the window, watching as Twilight came out of her room. Her violet eyes glinted in the silvery morning light, and her hair shone even more vibrantly than usual. Kai sighed, staring at her. It would be very, very hard to win today, he thought, grimacing. He looked closer at her, and couldn't help but notice the sad look on her face. Is she just as unhappy about fighting me as I am about fighting her? Kai wondered. Twilight stretched out her hand so she could see it, and, to Kai's great astonishment, a small globe of fire flickered across her fingers. She has two elements? Kai thought numbly. Why didn't she tell me? Why would she lie to me? How could she? I guess we aren't as close as I thought. Breaking into his private thoughts and making him jump, Chen announced the mystery competition and called them down to the hall. Kai clenched his sword, determined. Maybe that had been just what he had needed to see. After all, with the knowledge that she had lied to him, maybe it would be easier to defeat her. He marched into the Hall, ready for whatever the competition might be. He avoided Twilight's gaze, bracing himself to defeat her. She was a liar. She had been using him to get ahead, Kai told himself angrily. Chen chuckled. "Ooh, is this rivalry I see?" He teased, then launched into his explanation. "Each of you will have to fight me. Whoever can win against me will be the rightful winner. However, if you both lose," Chen began to cackle, "then I will be the winner!" "That isn't fair!" Twilight called out, clenching her fist. "You weren't even in the Tournament!" Chen giggled. "It is fair. But just to make sure, let's ask Kai. Do you think this is fair?" Kai swallowed. He could see Twilight looking at him with pleading eyes, silently begging him to agree with her. Deep inside, Kai knew this wasn't fair. But just as he opened his mouth to agree with her, a surge of rage hit him. If Twilight didn't want fights with Chen, then she'd get fights with Chen. She had lied to him and deserved to lose. "Of course it's fair." Kai agreed, glaring at Twilight, who was staring at him in shock. Chen let out another mean laugh. "You have an hour to prepare. Go train in the forest." He turned away, and walked over to talk with Clouse. Kai stalked out into the forest to train alone. Twilight ran after him. "Wait! Kai! What did I do wrong? What'd I do to offend you?" Kai hesitated briefly, considering telling her the truth. He shook off the thought. He couldn't let his enemies get a foothold over him. What if they both beat Chen and had to fight? "Nothing's wrong," he snapped. The minute he said it, he regretted his words. The look in Twilight's eyes made him want to run away. He hadn't meant for Twilight to feel so horrible about it, and it made him unhappy to see her sad. "Nothing's wrong," Kai comforted in a much kinder voice, placing his arm around her shoulders. Twilight hugged him, and both were silent for a while. Why would Twilight even bother herself anymore if she didn't truly like him? If she was just using him, surely the time for this was over? Kai's doubtful thoughts swirled around in his mind like an unchecked tornado. Suddenly, he noticed that he could feel Twilight shivering in the morning cold. If she were a fire ninja, shouldn't she always be hot? He knew he was. Maybe it was different for her. He opened his mouth to break the silence, but suddenly, Close appeared with an army of yellow men with purple tattoos. "Clouse?" Twilight asked, obviously puzzled. Clouse laughed. "If neither of you are there to challenge Chen, then Chen automatically wins!" He unsheathed a sword from his belt and charged, leading the strange men down the hill. "Run!" Kai yelled unnecessarily, driving Clouse back with a barrage of fire. Twilight summoned the wind, grabbing Kai's hand and lifting them both off the ground. Once they were out of Clouse's sight, Twilight landed in the very cave where they had fought Skylor. Panting heavily from the effort of using the wind, Twilight collapsed on the floor of the cave. Kai held her up until she was breathing normally again, careful not to let her hit the floor. After a while, Twilight sighed. "Kai?" She asked. "What is it?" Kai replied gently. "Just in case we both die here, there's something I'd like you to know." Kai sucked in his breath. Here it was. She had been planning to tell him, after all! "Wind isn't my element." She blurted. "I-I borrowed it, from a friend." Kai was genuinely surprised. He hadn't guessed that part of the story. "To keep it short, I have three powers: fire, like you, ice, and darkness." Three? Kai thought, astonished. How? She must be really powerful. "Why'd you borrow the wind, then?" He questioned. "So I could get into the Tournament. All of my elements were already taken. I know Riptide because we're from the same ninja team, where all of us have three Powers each, and we all rule our own city. Mine's called Silverwhisp. Heh, I guess you could call us the peacekeepers of the galaxy. Currently, we're trying to get the source of our powers back from Chen, who's safeguarding it for our worst enemies." Both of them were quiet for a minute. "Do you hate me for lying to you?" Twilight asked softly. "It's OK if you are. I'd be mad at me too, if I were you." Kai froze, thinking. Was he mad? She had lied, after all. And this morning, the betrayal had seemed even worse... But glancing up at Twilight's face, he could tell she was sincere. He could forgive her, couldn't he? Slowly, he wrapped his arms around her. "Of course I forgive you." He whispered, squeezing her tightly. Twilight hugged him back, and Kai felt as though he could stay here with her forever. Suddenly, out of the blue, Clouse appeared at the mouth of the cave! "Well, well, well." He murmured his taunting voice as his army of creatures swarmed them. Kai gripped Twilight's hand, holding on to her as darkness engulfed him.
-----