Huntress

I sat in the middle of darkness, a place I’m just too familiar with. I set aside my thoughts and centered my attention on healing myself with the remaining energy I have.

“Is it worth it?”

I frowned hearing a stranger’s voice in my mind.

“Tell me is it worth it Aengelle?”

“To save a life is always worth it.” I answered, not moving from my spot, still concentrating on healing.

“Then to save the life of the one you love, surely makes it more worth it.” He says.

“You can say that.” I said.

“You know this will all end when you die.” He says.

“I will die only when I find it necessary.” I said.

“Isn’t now necessary?” he asked. “Your family is in danger because of you, the fallen had used those who are close to you-“

“And I will continue fighting while I still can.” I stood up and faced the stranger. It was the boys who I danced with at the dinner rehearsal. “You’re a fallen you will not understand.”

“I understand more than you think, Aengelle.”

“Then why do you not understand why I do not give up?” I said, “Why of all things I can do I prefer to stay and live a mortal life.”

“It will not last.” He says. “Love does not last; a mortal’s mind is unstable. What they want and love now may always change in the future.”

I frowned, “I don’t think-“

“A divine being is not meant to be with a mortal!” he snapped. “Can’t you see? He isn’t your weakness, it’s your emotion! What you feel for him is what weakens you. Eliminate this emotion, and I assure you no harm or death will ever come near you and those who are around you again.”

“You cannot promise that.” I said, “You don’t know my family, my world…”

“I know enough.” He said. “I was once too just like you.”

“Then you remember how it was to be numb. How hard it is to control when all emotion I knew was to love and yet I have to kill.” I said. “It is harder if these emotions were taken away from you.” I paused studying his reaction, but read none. “You want to cry, be angry, laugh or jump around but you cannot, because you are not allowed to. How can I make a proper judgment if I cannot feel anything?”

“That is exactly what I am telling you.” He says, “You must use your brain to think not your heart.”

“But what if your mind and heart tells you what is right and yet it’s the situation that disagrees? What will you do then?”

He stared at me, no answer to give.

“I have been loved by my family all my life, I know that, even as a child, but all that was taken away from me.” I said. “Now that I have the chance to feel again, I will fight for it. Especially when I know that is what is right.”

“Then tell me this, what does it feel that he have not even visited you?” I frowned, “You are in the brink of dying because of him… that you are standing just outside the doors of the halls of death, a door you are far too much acquainted to. But it will not open for you, oh no.” he gave a sarcastic laugh. “This is not where the failed angels go, you will be lucky if you are joined with the Watchers, but I doubt that even they will accept you.”

“I need not know for I will wake up, I will wake up and see my family and friends.” I said, “I am not just waking up for him, what you speak of is not love but lust. One thing in common with the fallen and mortals.”