Chapter 7: Steve II

* * * Author's Notes * * *

I would like to take a moment to apologize for the extremely long wait for this chapter! My beta reader and I have both been very busy with real-life over the holiday season, but also I wanted to be sure that we took the extra time to make this chapter just right. A lot of time and research (yes, research!) went into writing this, and I feel that this is a very important part of the story. I hope that you all find that the wait was worth it!

As always, I would like to thank whimsymuse for all of their help, especially with this chapter. I am giving them co-author credit for this update since they helped outline and write some scenes within it :-)

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Steve was surprised at how alive the city of Washington, D.C. became in the days leading up to the nationally observed holiday of Memorial Day Monday. Tourists had flooded the area, and Dolan & Sons Antiques had been quite full throughout the weekend as a result. Liz had even kept the store open an extra hour late that Sunday night. Steve thought she looked tired as he walked with her up the stairs to the third floor that their apartments shared.

"Did you still want to come with Pops and me tomorrow?" Liz asked him as they turned a landing.

Steve smiled at her as they climbed, "I'd like that." He had actually been looking forward to joining Liz and Pops in their traditions since Liz first invited him earlier that week.

"Okay," Liz glanced at him with a tired smile and brushed a strand of auburn hair behind her ear, "I hope you don't mind getting up early. Pops wanted to be sure that we've caught the Metro by nine."

"I have no problem with that." Steve did not mind this at all. He slept on average about six hours a night at most and was an early riser as a result. Most mornings, he was awake and going out for a run before seven.

As they reached the top floor, Liz paused at her door and turned to him, "I don't mean to be lame," she started, "but I think I'm gonna turn in early before I pass out on my feet. Can we hold off on the movie?"

Liz had suggested earlier that day that they watch Superman ("the good ones, with Christopher Reeve!" Liz had felt the need to clarify) as tonight's choice for what had become their twice-weekly movie night. Steve was excited about this, mainly because he actually had a clue as to who Superman was. He remembered reading the first comics featuring the fictional hero way back when he was still a scrawny kid in art school, before the war. To be honest, Steve was surprised that Superman was still around and evidently quite popular.

"You get some sleep, " Steve encouraged, offering a small half-smile. Liz did look like she was on the brink of collapse.

"Okay. 'Night, Steve. See you in the morning," Liz said tiredly as she unlocked the door to her apartment and stepped inside.

"Goodnight, Liz," Steve gave one last smile as he watched Liz close her door.

* * *

The following morning, Steve woke promptly at six o'clock on the dot of his own accord. He had not found the need to use an alarm since his circadian rhythm seemed to be something by which the rest of the world should set their clocks. He went for his typical morning run several times around Monument Park, after which he grabbed a quick breakfast from the local deli before returning to his apartment to shower and get ready for the day out with the Dolans.

Pops had explicitly informed Steve the day before to dress his best for the occasion. Steve found that the best clothing in his closet included a plaid shirt in a neutral tone and brown slacks. He slipped on brown leather shoes and tucked in his shirt before fastening a matching brown leather belt around his waist. Steve parted and combed his hair neatly. He contemplated bringing his brown leather jacket but decided against it due to the seasonably warm weather that had flooded the city. Steve doubled back for his aviator sunglasses before leaving his apartment promptly at eight-thirty.