Chapter 8: The Clash of Blades

Kaity leaped at him ferociously. He quickly brought up his dagger to block the one coming at him. The tinkle of blade on blade resounded in the room. She stabbed again, and again he blocked, looking for an opening to strike, but their was none. She just kept on flashing as quick as lightning. Her dark brown hair whipped around her as she flitted like a dove, always pushing him back.

Daithey never got a chance to strike, but he did well blocking all of her ninja like moves. then, when he was almost backed up against the wall, he saw an opening. 

She had left her left shoulder unguarded. He spun towards her left and flicked his wrist out towards that spot, but he could not bring himself to touch her silky skin. He looked into her almond shaped eyes and for a heartbeat neither of them moved. 

Then she swung, quick as a flash. She continued to push him back, the clanging of their daggers resounded through the walls, bouncing off them, creating echoes upon echoes of the sound of battle. He was loosing his strength, the battle seemed to go on forever. She looked as poised and full of energy as ever. Then he was pushed to the ground by her and Kaity put her blade to his neck, just touching it, but not cutting it.

"You're dead." She whispered into his ear. A phantom of a smile pulled on her lips.

"That was very tiring." He whispered back faintly. She stood up and gave him a hand. She looked over at him, a mysterious twinkle in her eyes.

"That was very good, my young apprentice." She said in a sarcastic voice, but he could see in her eyes actual approval of how well he did.

"Henry said that he wouldn't use any of his magic. What magic do you guys have?" He asked later. The group had decided to call that a day and they had gone to a diner to get some food before heading back to their house.

"So, we can charge our weapons. We can put energy into the blade," Cathy cleared her throat loudly.  "or blunt object." She finished. Cathy looked happy by her recognition and went back to gobbling down her grilled cheese. Drege watched her closely. Daithey smiled when he saw his infatuation.

"And that makes them more powerful, and we can fight better. It looks like this." She grabbed her fork and gripped it. It started to glow.

"Cool." He sighed. He wished he could do that.

"Yeah." She said happily, letting the glow fade away. She continued eating her salmon plate. Daithey watched all of the people around the table eating their food and he realized that they were letting him into their world. He had a place to belong. At that thought he smiled and continued eating his favorite food, a chicken sandwich.