Chapter 24: Tallio

Daithey unsheathed his samurai sword, holding it up to protect himself. Everyone else did the same with their weapons. Even Ingrid took her staff of her back and brandished the long stick with the spiral point at the end. That was when they heard the bellow cascading down the mountainside side into the gully that contained Taver. 

"We have to warn everybody." Daithey said, not wanting people to face the same pain that he had. To loose your whole family is sometimes more terrible than dying. He tensed up and felt a soft hand on his arm. He looked over into Kaity's soft violet eyes.

"We have to split up." Drege said. He looked at Cathy mournfully. "Kaity, take Cathy and Ingrid to warn people. You and Cathy can protect Ingrid if necessary. I will go with Dai and Henry. Sir Gather can come with us. Let's move!" Kaity quickly kissed him before running off into the heart of the village. 

People were looking around, wondering where the sound came from. Then one would look to the horizon and see the approaching cloud of white ice. They would scream, which would send the whole area into a panic. The girls were running around keeping everyone calm and telling those who could fight to take arms. Daithey and his group made their way to where the army would attack. Quinten ran up behind them, katanas raised.

"Who are they?"He asked, excitement in his voice.

"Tallio." Sir Gather said seriously. Quinten laughed nervously.

"Tallio? What are they doing here?" His question was unanswered. The group looked at each other as the Tallio grew closer.

"I hope to God Cathy is safe." Drege muttered, charging his weapon to fight. "And besides, they have to come for our group formation.

The Tallio's ice cloud engulfed them in its cold. Ice particles whipped around their faces, stinging their eyes. "We have to stop this weather." Henry said, addressing Sir Gather.

"There is probably a mage of the group controlling it. We need to find him and kill him." He replied. Daithey saw a form in the corner of his vision and dove towards it. He met the Tallio head on. Apparently they could see perfectly fine.

He darted behind the Tallio. He slashed at where he guessed his neck was and stabbed. he heard a groan and warm blood splattered on him, a strange contrast to the bleak coldness that engulfed him.

He ran towards sounds of fighting and started slashing wildly. He hit a few, but he killed none. Then the wailing of the wind stopped and the ice drifted away. He saw Kaity not far away with her dagger stuck in the chest of a Tallio. He was grey, with horns sticking strait up from his head. He had a white staff with a ice ball on the end. Kaity was smiling triumphantly.

"Good job." He whispered to her. she smiled at him warmly. They rushed to the rest of the group.

"Group formation!" Drege called. They assembled into a circle around Kaity. Everyone charged their weapons, slashing at the Tallio to keep them at bay. It was weird looking at the circle and Daithey was the only one not with a glowing blade. Then they all surged forward as a mass. Kaity kept firing arrow after arrow, and everyone smashed whatever Tallio came in front of them. Daithey darted around some of them, always returning to his spot.

Blood spurted everywhere. Some people from the country were attempting to fight, but were getting slaughtered. The Tallio that came past their killing machine ran into the town and devastated the place. Burning buildings, taking innocent people from their hiding spots. The sound of mother's wailing and children crying rang in their ears as infants were torn from their dying mother's arms.

Then a huge Tallio came running forward. He was obviously the leader. He ran towards the nearest member of their group. Henry, who responded with a battle cry and a swing of his gladiator sword. The leader swung at him with his whip. The collision caused Henry to slam against the nearest tree with a crack. He slid down, whimpering in pain. He slowly reached for his sword but the Tallio picked him up and pulled his head back, cracking his spine, and crushed his skull in his hands. He was covered in blood from all of his victims.

"Henry!" Kaity screamed, running towards her best friend.