Chapter 10: Broken Noses and Ice cream Shops.

Growing distance from your explanations
We're getting deeper in this mess
Take careful contemplation
I'd rather be spitting blood
Than have this silence fuck me up

This separation, time and space between us
For some revelation
You didn't even care to discuss
I'd rather be black and blue
Than accept that you withdrew

Aah, just tell me
Say anything
Anything hurts less than the quiet
Just tell me
Say anything
Anything hurts less than the quiet

-

Xavier

I leaned back, the cold tiles touching the sides of my hips. I closed my eyes.

"You're just like him."

I swallowed the lump of tears that had collected in the column of my throat. They didn't budge.

"You're just like him."

My stomach felt like cello strings strung too tight.

"You're just like him."

I counted to fifteen in my head. My sister had once told me that it helped to calm her down.

"You're just like him."

My sister had also told me that I had become the monster I was trying to run away from.

"You're just like him."

15.

I had become my worst fears.

And I didn't know if I had the strength to change back.

"Xavier," His voice sounded like the only familiar thing I had heard in quite a while. And he was nothing but a stranger, "Are you..... okay?"

I swallowed again. I felt a burning path up my throat, tears threatening to come out like fire.

Faking a smile in front of someone was a bit harder than I thought.

"Why do you keep stealing my lines?"

He looked at me with those cold, warm eyes and for once, I had to look away because I knew I was going to start crying and I knew just how pathetic that would be.

"You just seem-"

"A little out of it?" I stated, finishing his sentence. My heart clenched and unclenched in my chest, aching in a way that made me want to tear it out. For the first time in my life, I understood why some people chose to be heartless.

"Yeah,"

"Says the person who has dark circles as deep as the-"

"Mariana's Trench. You've repeated that at least twenty times," He rolled his eyes, clicking his tongue, "Come up with something more original."

"Ouch. Are you doubting my originality?" I turned towards him, breathing in his scent. He didn't smell like strawberries any more. He smelt like air again.

I took a deep breath, heaving in and out. His scent made me feel a little less suffocated. It was as if I was drowning under the waves, and I got a fresh gulp of air every once in a while, just enough to keep me alive.

"Maybe," He raised his eyebrow, as if he was challenging me for something. I felt my heart leap at his offer.

"I do not like you."