Chapter 11.2

Three employees had marched in to Good Time, demanding their jobs back.

Ty had sympathized, but refused their applications. Two of them asked to speak with Pen. Pen also refused their applications. Then they had begged, which had been painful to watch.

"What can I do?" Pen waved an arm to the upgraded AI tech. "They're doing our job for us."

"There's no work anywhere because of those things!" Jerri Greene, an ex-cashier, glared at the kiosks.

Pen's eyes widened. He swung his head about, as if to see if the tech had taken offense.

"Please know I understand your frustration, but you need to leave."

Jerri kept grumbling, but she left.

On her way out, she called, "Antoinella, come on!"

"Be right there!"

Ty wasn't sure how he hadn't noticed his friend before. However, he wished she would follow Jerri out the door, and quickly. He didn't want to let her down like he had everyone else.

"Go on, Antoinella." Pen urged her out the door.

She held up a bucket.

"Just here to get candy, and then I'll leave."

For a minute, Pen's face signaled his intent to kick her out anyhow. Then, he nodded and walked to the back storeroom.

"Wanna ring me up, Ty?"

"You don't wanna use a kiosk? There's one free."

It had been days since he had rung up a customer. Whenever he did, he felt odd about it. Similarly, Antoinella's request was odd, as though it sprang from pity.

Two customers were interacting with the kiosks, while the newest machine stood tall and gleaming, waiting to be clicked and prodded.

Antoinella slid her eyes from the kiosk back to Ty. "No, I don't wanna use the tech."

Ty gave her a half-grimace, half-smile. "I understand. How have you been?"

She handed over a bucket of candy. As Ty rang up each item, Antoinella watched with longing.

"I've been okay." The lie seemed less awkward than the truth. "Where's Wallace, or Martine?"

"There's only two of us here at a time now, so just Pen and me today. There's not much to do since the machines got upgraded."

Antoinella nodded her understanding. She leaned in close.

"You should see some of the other retail stores; they've got one manager running everything. They're basically there to check on the machines. Soon, they'll be only Pen left here at Good Time, and then no one."

Ty didn't care that he was being monitored, or that he should keep his opinions to himself.

"What are we going to do?"

The question had kept him up the last few nights. It was either that, or the loss of his wife that urged the tossing and turning.

Antoinella looked to be in as much pain as Ty was over the loss of their jobs, but her answer surprised him.

"Every thing is...uncertain. All of this," her hand swept to indicate the kiosks, "is just a part of the process. Adding to the challenge."

The woman was speaking in riddles. But it was how women always spoke. Oh, shut up, he could hear Sam's voice echoing in his brain. He cleared her out of his head.

"The challenge of what?"

"Life." Antoinella handed Ty the money for her purchase. "Thanks for ringing me up." At the door, she turned. "Say hello to Sam for me."

After she'd gone, Ty was left to contemplate the simplicity of her words. Life was full of challenges and uncertainty? Well, duh. Tech added to the stress in an unnatural way. It was a damn nuisance. Tech was on the way to replacing its very creators. Antoinella had to know that, so why wasn't she as upset about it as Ty?

"Hey man, what's up?" It was Wallace, on his way into Good Time to start the night shift. "I just saw Antoinella in the parking lot. Was she trying to get her job back?"

Ty shook his head. "I think she just wanted to stop by, say hi."

They settled into their shifts, watching the customers line up at the kiosks. It was common to be ignored by customers, but after the arrival of the kiosks, the non-attention felt personal. Ty knew deep down it was anything but personal. The customers had the opinion that tech was faster and more convenient, and they were right. It still hurt to witness his own extinction.

"Excuse me, sir?"

Ty was never more excited to hear those words. "Yes, I can ring you up."

"Oh, no." The man signaled at the kiosk behind them. "I rang up over there, but the machine is out of receipt paper."

The reversal of the situation froze Ty. He didn't know what to say, so he didn't say anything. Wallace, friend that he was, smoothly offered to help the customer in Ty's place. 

~*~

A/N: Whoa, rejection in favor of a machine. Ty best get used to it!

I dedicate this chapter to a new follower, BrookeLerma. Her story, The Great Hart, is being published in an upcoming anthology!

https://www.wattpad.com/story/60788900-the-great-hart