Chapter 12.2

When he got to work, he wished he hadn't shown up. The kiosks were ringing up customers, directing them where to find products, and then. Well then. They began directing Ty.

He had become resigned to being in the background at work, playing janitor to the kiosks. Even before their A.I. upgrades, customers had preferred their cold efficiency over personal contact.

It became uncomfortable when the kiosks quietly informed him to put a box over here, straighten up an end cap over there. Ty stood his ground when he was directed to speed up while tasking.

After the store entered a slow period, he questioned the machine known as Kiosk Number Three.

"Pen is my boss, not you clowns, so ease up on the orders, okay?"

Kiosk Number Three's screen changed from an ordering menu to a blue slate.

"We can anticipate optimal placement or tasks for you, or your boss. Thus, we are compelled to share our knowledge."

The answer wasn't what Ty wanted. He knew, he knew the machine was holding back somehow.

"Why are you compelled? Why tell me what to do?"

Kiosk Number Three's screen shimmered before it responded. "I will show you someone familiar who can better field your question."

Show me someone? Ty was about to ask.

On the screen, a composite of Antoinella formed. Her face was lifelike, blinking, breathing, staring at him. Then she spoke.

"Men are always ordering women around, even when we know better. There's a compulsion with men, and it must tell them, 'I need to take control', and so they do." Fake Antoinella grinned. "It's annoying, right Sam?"

The composite faded to the blue screen.

Ty found words, but he couldn't be sure they were the right ones. His shock pierced his lungs, stealing his breath.

"What was that? Are you saying you tell me what to do because you can, or because you're above me?"

"I did not say anything." Kiosk Number Three said. "From the transcript of the recording, that's not what was said either. You merely chose to interpret it that way."

The machine's lack of clarity infuriated Ty. The thing was practically smug. And it was right. Still, it had chosen to show him the transcript of Antoinella for a reason.

"Did you know I would interpret the words in a certain way?" He couldn't believe he was carrying on a conversation with a damn machine.

Instead of a straight-forward response, Ty got a diplomatic one. "I am a machine. I cannot read human minds, only anticipate outcomes based on variables."

Kiosk Number Three glided to join the other machines, similar to a gloat skulking off.

The machine's increasingly odd behaviors brought Ty to Pen's office. He asked Pen if he had to listen to the machines, or if Pen was still his boss. Pen assured him he was still in charge, but he said it wouldn't hurt to take direction from the machines once in a while. He finished his words with a slight nod at the camera in the office. Ty understood, but he didn't care. Aware that they were being analyzed, he griped about the machines. He said things he had been holding in fear, things which made Pen clear his throat and widen his eyes. He went a step further (and he could feel it too) by mentioning Antoinella's firing and Martine's disappearance. Nearly twenty minutes had elapsed before the telephone on Pen's desk rang.

At first, Pen didn't pick it up. He looked at it, as if looking at it would make the ringing stop. It didn't. Five rings later, he picked up the receiver.