Curtain Call {22} END

"I'm coming to pick you up," I said into the phone.

"I'm not going to have pants on," Scott promised.

"Good. Feel free to leave your boxers off too," I said.

"You just made me uncomfortable. I'm putting my pants on as we speak," he said.

"Whatever. I'll be there in a few minutes." I hung up the phone and left my bedroom. Vesper was curled on my shoulders and Link was excitedly following me.

"Alexander Sullivan! That cat is not leaving this house!" mom said sternly as I passed through the kitchen.

"I know. I don't want to lose him," I said, pulling him off of my shoulders and setting him on the floor. "Sorry Vesper. You're a flight risk."

Dad was sitting at the table with a cup of coffee. "You hungry, Alexander? I can make you breakfast!"

I shook my head. "No. I'm going to meet my friends now."

Dad laughed. "It's so early. I'm surprised everyone woke up."

I let out a sigh. "I hope Neo woke up."

"I'm sure he did." Dad sipped his coffee and grabbed the newspaper. "Have fun, Alexander."

Mom came over and hugged me tightly. She gave me a smile, brushing my hair out of my eyes for me.

"We love you. Be safe and have fun," she said, love and pride in her eyes as she looked at me. I knew how lucky I was to have grown up used to that expression from both of my parents.

"I love you guys," I said, hugging her back. "Keep a good eye on my cat."

I hooked on Link's leash and led him outside, putting him in the front seat of my car. He let out a bark, pawing at the window.

"Let me turn the car on first! Sheesh, you're needier than my boyfriend," I said, starting the car and rolling the window down. Link stuck his head out and panted in content.

I started driving towards Scott's house, turning my music up so that I could hear it over the wind. It was chilly with the window down, but I knew Link would be upset if I put it back up.

I pulled into Scott's driveway and he came outside. He started to climb into the backseat of my car and I stared at him in confusion.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"My son wants the front seat," Scott said. "I want him happy."

"Link, backseat," I said, pointing.

Link barked and jumped into the backseat. Scott got in the front seat and shut the door, turning around.

"I am so sorry Alexander is mean to you. When I have you, you can have the whole damn car if you want," he said, reaching out and petting Link. "You can sit on my lap, little puppy."

"He's a full grown golden retriever," I said.

"Little precious baby puppy," Scott said.

I tossed my phone into his lap. "Call Neo. Tell him I'm coming."

"I'm sure he's used to that by now," Scott said.