He's Not Gonna Like This

"Mr. Kjellberg?"

He poked his head into the office, hoping he didn't disturb him. "Come in, Mark." His accent was the dead give away of him being foreign. Hell, the majority of the population didn't know he even existed. Mark was the center of everything. He never wanted to hurt anyone, but he was forced to. If he didn't obey Felix's will, well---

"I heard about Kevin Abernathy escaping." he said sternly. Mark slowly nodded his head with a slight look of fear. Felix turned and shoved everything off the desk in anger, ending with a loud crash and spilt coffee on the hardwood floor. "We can't keep losing the rebels! Those SWAT Team members are idiots! Which one was it?" he ranted. "Twenty-three, sir." I replied with a shaky tone.

"Fire them." A little shocked, I asked, "Excuse me, sir?" "If they can't do their job right, why should they even have it. Tell all of them to pack their things, or they're being thrown out. Or killed..." He spoke the last words with a hint of a whisper. "S-sir," I tried to reason with him. "think about their lives outside the workplace. They could have a wife and multiple children that they could be busting their asses to feed and clothe every day. You can't do this, especially for something so small as a mistake like this."

When I was finished, I knew I had made a horrible mistake. Felix stood, and walked slowly passed me and to the doors. He then proceeded to shut every door and window in the room. When he was done, he flew at me with great speed, grabbed my collar, and pinned me against the wall. "Don't you dare tell me what I can and can't do. I am your superior and I want you to treat me as such. And I do not think for a second that this is just a 'small mistake.' There is a rebel out there whom we have not caught and killed. If you try to go against me one more time, you're getting fired next time. Got it?"

I nod quite frantically until he finally lets me go. "Now get out of my sight." I heed his words and flee his office, I then catch my breath outside the large wooden doors. I slide down the wall into a sit with my hand on my chest. I know I can't keep doing this, but I have to. If I don't where else can I go?

GG HQ - Miles Underground

I'm in a deep sleep when I'm awoken by a sudden jerk of my shoulder, "Hey, time to get up dude. We got some 'splaining to do." Danny stopped when I started to stir. When my vision cleared, he smiled slightly at me, "C'mon man, breakfast is time to 'splain." He gestured for me to follow, and I did. As I walked into the hall, I smelled.... Bacon?

Suzy had sizzling bacon in a pan while a plate of already cooked strips were on a paper towel beside her. She turned to face me and smiled cheerfully, "Good morning, Kevin! Hope the floor wasn't too rough for you." I waved it off saying it was okay.

Man, for wanted fugitives, they all seemed so happy. So content. It makes me think back to my life before, only the one friend I had was a shopkeeper who eventually turned me in. Guess I never really had friends before, or at least true ones. But hey, they might turn on me too. But no matter how much I think about that, they seem less and less likely.

I sat at the table and Barry handed me a paper towel with some strips of bacon. I looked at him somewhat oddly. "Sorry," he said. "we ran out of paper plates a couple days ago. We need Dan to make another run to the store." he thought aloud. "How come Dan has to?" I asked. "He's the only one of us that isn't wanted by the government." he said sadly. All I could say is, "What do you mean?"

Barry chuckled lightly as he sat in the chair next to me, "I'm a weapons expert and so are you, Suzy and Arin used to be robbers, and Ross was..." he paused as some tears welled up in his eyes. I thought not to ask him any more because of how he reacted. So I ate my bacon and changed the subject.

Afterwards, Danny got dressed and went to what looked like an elevator door, but stopped and turned to face me, "How bout Kevin comes with? I mean, we aren't even near his home town. Plus it's Brian who runs it." he suggested. I had never heard of Brian, but from the smile on Dan's face he must be a good friend. "No." Arin said dully. "Just because it's not in his home town doesn't mean they won't be looking for him. Him and Barry are to stay in this base for their own safety." Danny nodded with a sad smile now on his pleasant face. He pressed the top button on the elevator, the doors opened, he entered, and went up.

Now that I thought about it, I don't know how long I've been down here. To me, it's been about a day, but I don't know how long I was sitting on that metal bed. I could've been here for days, weeks, months. But somehow, I think I'm okay with that. These people seem very kind and friendly, especially for fugitives.

They're like the family I used to have.