Ch.23-Running Away

~Emmalyn~

I was going through way too many emotions in one day. I was sure it couldn't be healthy.

First there was the horrible trepidation of facing everyone at school after what I had done. News traveled fast within an institution of gossip-hungry teenagers. It didn't help that it was such a small town.

But what did help? Having Rhys with me. Having him on my side as an ally instead of a foe. That was helpful.

I would be the first to admit I wasn't taking the sudden absence of pills as well I as I could have. After always having them handy it was a shock. There was no gentle waning, just an abrupt halt to that part of my life, the part that should remain forgotten and locked away. But it was always there in the back of my mind. I knew it would be, too, no matter what. It was a scar on my memory. Permanent. Never forgotten; always there.

I was trying to cope and be okay with that.

So the other insane emotions gripping me didn't aid at all in the coping process. Being with Rhys alone in that janitor's closet?

A big no-no.

The stupid move of crossing some fine line somewhere and practically feeling him up through his shirt?

Huge no-no.

But what I couldn't get over was that part of me that had liked it. That was hopping and skipping and begging for more. This was Rhys Richardson we were talking about. I couldn't go there. I didn't think I could with anybody, least of all him.

And then that prick had burst in on us, and the situation snowballed.

Now, now I was just pissed. At Rhys and Jax. And a little bit at myself. But mostly Rhys. He had no right going and doing such a stupid thing and no doubt getting himself suspended in the process. That was my ready excuse as to why I ran out of the school like a crazy person to see him. Not because I wanted to make sure he was okay. Of course not. I just had to give him an earful.

"Goodness, Miss Hall. Where's the fire?"

The sound of Mr. Matthew's voice stopped me, but I bobbed anxiously up and down, eager to arrive at my next destination. "Hello, Mr. Matthews."

He was smiling, bag slung over his shoulder. "I heard about what happened with Mr. Richardson today."

I winced. "Yeah. I'll try not to let it impede on the progress of our project." Whatever progress can be recorded for it, that is.

The quirky teacher shrugged. "Do what you must, Miss Hall. I assume you're going over to see him?"

I nodded.

He smiled. "Then give him my best regards. I'll see you tomorrow."

I nodded and sped off, jumping into my car and throwing my backpack into the passenger seat, not even bothering to put on my seatbelt before I was peeling out. I took a moment to calm down, making sure to secure the belt in place.

The last thing I needed was to start acting like Rhys.

I arrived at his house in record timing. I had never really been inside, just on his porch with transient images of the interior. I knocked rapidly on the door. A pretty woman answered it, cherry red lips pulling up in a smile. "Well, hello," she greeted. "Are you Emma?"

My eyebrows drew together in confusion. "Yes. How do you know?"

She winked. "I've heard of you. Please come in!" She opened the door wider and I entered, kicking off my shoes.