1

Life was not exactly pleasant and by no means was it easy in North Hill. I lived in a place of rage and chaos. People were starving, stealing, murdered, raped, and losing their minds. More openly among the poor were these actions than within the rich, not to say the rich did not fall into such horrible situations. This was not what anyone had ever intended to happen to us, but it did, and no one seemed to be doing anything about it.

"This is disgusting," I rolled over the mutilated body of a boy. He had been cut open several times, his clothes and personal items had been stolen. He was dead. Murdered.

"Xavier," Quinn called to me from over her shoulder. "We have another one over here. They look like brothers."

"Great," I muttered. "This looks just like the other ones we saw last week."

"And the week before that," she grimaced as she looked at the other boy she had found. "But it seems to be getting more brutal with everyone."

"I know. We have to find out who is doing this and stop it."

"Just like we did last month? When did we become this hell holes protectors?" She crossed her arms.

"Since we seem to be the only ones who care about living this way," I pointed out. "Everyone else doesn't notice the filth they live in or the people dying around them. They only notice when it's someone close to them and everyone is so crazy now it feels like no one is close to anyone at all by this point."

"We're close," Quinn said pointedly.

"Yeah, but we're not seeming to fall into the trap of this place either."

"True," she tucked her dark hair behind her ears. Her full lips were pursed as she thought. Quin's dark, narrow eyes searched mine as if I had all of the answers to her questions. "So where do we start?"

"I think we need to watch people who carry around blades. Follow them without them knowing. Patrol the streets at night, since that's when it's happening, and see if any children are out wandering around alone."

"Do you think we'll be on this one for long?"

"I hope not," I looked at the body in front of me one more time. "Because the things they are doing-"

"They're awful." I nodded. "We'll ask the people living around here if they saw or heard anything that might help us."

"I might know where to start now," Quinn pointed in towards the opening of the ally way. There stood a young boy, around the same age as the two who were murdered, and he was staring right at us.

"Hey," I called to him. When he looked like he was about to run I held up a hand for him to stop. "Easy. I just have a few questions, that's all, I promise."

The boy nodded.

"Quinn," I said softly. "How about you take the lead with this one."

"Sure," she said before turning back to the little dark haired boy. "Can I speak to you?"

He nodded again.

"Thank you," Quinn's voice was comforting. She knelt a foot away from him. "This is really important, okay? I need you to tell me everything you can. Did you know these two boys?"

"Yes, ma'am." His voice shook.

"Do you know who did this to them?"

"Yes, ma'am." The boys eyes welled with glistening tears.

"Shh, it's okay. We are here to help you." She reached out for his hand. He let her hold it. "Tell me what you can."

He went into his encounter, hesitantly at first, but eventually told us everything he knew. There was a group, dressed all in black with red masks, that carried large swords. They had tortured the two boys while their friend hid. He had not known what to do. He could not help them. The boy said there were six of the monsters and that they had all been tall men who had laughed as the boys had screamed. The story sent shivers down my spine. I could not imagine what the brothers had gone through or what this little boy would have to carry with him for the rest of his life. Haunting memories like these were what pushed me to bring justice to those who committed these acts. They were the reason we feared everything. Fear is what kept everyone inside at night but fear caused me to retaliate and protect.