Chapter Fifteen

January 10, 1972 4:01 p.m.
I feel light and calm, as I open my eyes slowly. I find that a pale golden most drifts all around me, and I feel as if the accident never happened. I find myself in a calm place, with indescribable beauty and comfort. I'm wearing my regular clothes that I had worn to the furneral, and my shoes aren't spattered with mud.

I suddenly hear a voice calling me, joyfully saying my name. I turn, and coming down a path is a man, walking with a stride that makes him seem hallowed. He almost is floating over the stones. I realize who it is and run to Him. He draws me into a hug.

"You are not done yet, Raymond." He said, his eyes sparkling with wisdom and love. "Trust me." I draw back, nodding my head.

"I trust in you, Jesus. I will trust you." I say, as everything starts to fade around me.

"I trust in you, Jesus." I muttered softly. I open my eyes and see that I'm lying on the ground. Everything is sideways, and rain is dribbling down my face. Pain suddenly shoots through my back and I grit my teeth. "Please help me, Lord." I prayed as I struggled to a sitting position. My legs are helpless, just dragging as I sit up and lean on my arms.

Our car is off the road, and lays on its side a few feet from me. The windshield has a massive hole in it, and my face feels like a thousand needles are jabbing into it. A thought suddenly ran through my head.

"Mom!" I grabbed hold of a small tree that was beside me and tried to haul myself up. I collapse, my legs crumbling. My back still hurts a lot, and there is a wide variation of scratches and cuts on my hands, face, and neck. I drag myself along the muddy ground with my arms, and by the time I reach my mom's side of the car, sweat mingles with rain drops.

I hoist myself up to a standing position, holding onto the car for support. I looked into the driver's seat, and see my mom, unconscious. I try to open the door, but can't. I needed a phone to call someone. I remembered that I was near a neighborhood. About a mile away from us is the first house of Glenwood drive. The car that hit us is nowhere to be seen. I drop to the ground, my arms trembling from the effort I had put in it.

"Only you can help me, Lord. Please send someone to help us. Please..." I wince as pain shoots through my back again. Fuzziness obscures my vision, and before I can try to stop it, unconsciousness drifted over me. But before my eyes were completely shut, I saw brightly colored lights flashing.