Chapter Ten - End of Days

I shook my head and rested it back on the pillow, pushing the thought out of my mind – I was just sleep-deprived and imagining things. Before long, I was out cold again, wrapped up in warm sheets. My dreams revolved around a game-show, with myself being one of the contestants. It was a ‘Minute to Win It’ style show, with the contestants participating in mini-games to win prizes. At first, it was literally all fun and games, but soon, the dream turned into more of a nightmare, with the contestants being forced to play for the prize – the chance to save their loved one.

My prize was my parents and Dick, but I was only allowed to save one. Soon, the counter began, despite me having no clue of what the game type was. I ran forward and attempted to grab them all, but as soon as either hand reached for either parent, a gun shot rang out and Dick fell, blood dripping from his temple. My heart stopped as I picked up my parents, but then, I felt something that made my blood curdle.

There blood was dripping down my arms as well – they had been killed.

“Aw, too bad, honey. Try harder next time,” the host told me, before laughing maniacally and pointing a revolver at my head. Biting my lip, I felt my sharpest teeth pierce the skin, and immediately tasted the metallic taste of blood. I tried begging him to not shoot me, but it only came out as muffled cries.

I looked down and saw something that absolutely confused me. Dick was now dressed as Nightwing, and that’s when it hit me.

Anger streamed through my body as I stormed back to my home, and I mean my home. The home I had lived in for many years before Scarecrow decided to choose me as his target and send me to live with Bruce and the gang – including Dick Grayson! How could I have been so stupid?!

“For God sake, Lani! You’re such an idiot! It was obvious that he was...” I kicked the cobblestone path under my feet, mentally kicking myself for being so naive. There was no way that I was staying with someone who lied to me. As I continued walking through the streets at only a few minutes past midnight, the darkness engulfed me, and I struggled to see where I was going. All I did was look for a house which seemed like it would have been mine. After all, I had lived there for the entirety of my life – up until now.

Finally I found it, but something was different. It was empty. Usually my parents were home, but now, it was complete darkness, fitting in with my already black surroundings. I thought for a second that I had the wrong house, but once I felt the mailbox, I knew it was the right one. Our mailbox had been in the shape of an owl, with a little button for the nose, which I had helped my mother glue on. The entire letterbox had been a family creation.

“Where are you guys?” I mumbled to myself, beginning to worry. What if Scarecrow had gotten to them, too? There was only one place left to go.

Running through the thick darkness that enshrouded my now fatigued body, I continued pressing on, making my way to the massive mansion that had become my new home for the past month. The main gates loomed over me as I struggled to push them over, squeezing between the metal frame and angrily making my way over to the large, front door. I knocked viciously, barely awaiting someone to open the door before I left myself in, walking into the Batcave. I had still remembered where it was from the first visit, but I couldn’t remember how to get in. So all I could do was wait them all out.

Sitting comfortably, I waited in the armchair by the bookshelf that led to the Batcave. I could feel myself drifting off, but I knew I had to stay awake. They would be back at any time. Time passed, and eventually, it became early morning. Batman, Robin, Alfred, Amour and Nightwing were all walking out, and looked very surprised to see me sitting where I was, waiting for them – especially Nightwing.

“Did you have a good d-,” Nightwing started, smirking cheekily, before I cut him off, not caring how I came across. He had kept something major from me, and I wasn’t impressed at all.

“Shut up. Where are my parents?” My question wasn’t aimed at anyone in particular; just anyone who could answer it. Nightwing’s smirk disappeared and he began looking around nervously, like he knew the answer to the question. He also looked as though he knew what had happened – why I was acting the way I was.

“They should be at home,” Amour said, looking to Batman, who nodded and exchanged glances with the rest of his team.

“Well, they bloody well aren’t!” I was close to tears as I screamed at the people who had slowly become like family to me, but I wanted answers about my real family – not some lame excuse of where they should have been.

“Leilani, calm down. They’re gonna be –“ By now, tears began rolling down the side of my face, but I managed to control myself enough that I wouldn’t let myself look entirely weak.

“Don’t you even try to tell me that they’re going to be alright, Em! You have no idea that they’re going to be alright! Or do you know and have just decided that keeping that a secret from me would be the best way to go?” Without realising it, I began sneering at Nightwing, before turning away and beginning to storm out of the room.

“Leilani, wait!” He followed after me and tried putting a hand on my shoulder, but I spun my arm around and knocked it off of me, slapping the palm of my hand across his face. Tears continued streaming down my face as I shook my head at him, still trying to figure out what was happening.

“I thought that you actually trusted me. I thought I meant something to you – all of you,” I moved my head around, gesturing to everyone that was surrounding us, seeing as the rest of the team had decided to join our little conversation, “but apparently I’m nothing more than a lost, little girl who got in bad with a criminal.”

Nightwing was still gobsmacked, but tried convincing me not to leave – and didn’t succeed. Even Bruce gave it a shot, but to no avail. Emerald ran up to my side and hugged me, pulling her head back when I looked down at her, trying to hide my face.

“Lani, don’t leave... You do mean something to us.” Her big, puppy dog eyes came across loud and clear, but they didn’t work. I was too determined to leave to fall for such a weak act.

“Em, let go of me.” With a commanding tone in my voice, I pushed her away and continued walking, pushing the front door open one last time.

“Leilani, at least let us know where you’re going!” Nightwing called finally, jogging up to me and standing inside, by the door. For the last time that night, I mustered up a smile and turned to face him, my hand on the door.

“Richard Grayson, if you don’t mind, you stay out of my business and I’ll pretend that you didn’t need to tell me that little major secret.” I slammed the door in front of him and stormed out, ready to look for my parents.

“Well, well, well. If it isn’t Little, Miss Smarty-Pants,” Scarecrow teased, circling me. My blood began pounding in my head, making me wish that I hadn’t just ruined my entire relationship with all of the Bat family only moments before.

“W-what do you want?” I whispered, not looking at him, but I knew my fear was already strengthening him just by hearing it.

“Hmm... I believe I already have it. But what do you know? Here comes another factor.” I had no clue what he was going on about, until I saw Nightwing, Amour, Robin and Bruce walking out, Alfred following behind, a rifle in his hands. I wanted to warn them to stay away from him, because Scarecrow seemed more powerful, but it was too late. Within a second, Scarecrow had the group engulfed in a fear gas, and maniacal inmates were in on them too, hacking and slashing, not bothering to smother the screams of my family.

“S-stop it! Stop it!” I squealed, but it was too late. They were gone.