Chapter 1

Chapter 1

The doctor handed the bundle of blankets to me, along with the screaming baby inside them. I was panting and breathing hard, trying to catch my breath. My mom was next to me, rubbing my shoulder. Justin was on the other side, kissing my forehead multiple times.

“You did good, honey,” my mother said, gazing down at the bundle in my arms.

“She’s beautiful,” Justin whispered, gently touching the tiny girl’s cheek. I nodded in agreement, too out of breath to speak. I gazed down at the little girl calmly, and she stared back. She was beautiful. And looked just like Ricky. Those same blue eyes that I saw almost a year ago were gazing up at me. And I loved them. I loved her.

“I love you, my beautiful baby girl,” I whispered, bringing her closer to me. She began crying again, and I shushed her gently. “It’s okay.”

“Welcome to the world,” my mother whispered, patting her back softly.

The doctor was at my side, smiling down at me and the baby. “Congratulations, Mrs. Reynolds.”

“Thank you,” I breathed. He nodded and began checking over the baby.

“What will you name her?” Justin whispered into my hair.

I thought for a moment. Then I knew. “Emma.”

“Emma?” Justin asked. I nodded and he kissed my forehead again. “That’s a beautiful name for a beautiful baby girl.”

“Thank you,” I told him, closing my eyes. I was so tired, and all I wanted to do was sleep.

“Sophie, you look exhausted. You should sleep,” my mom said. She reached over and tried to take the baby, but I shook my head.

“No, I want to sleep with her.”

My mom nodded, understanding. “Okay, Sophie. I’ll be out in the hall with Darius,” she said, getting up off of the chair. “Thank you, doctor.”

The doctor nodded and continued writing on his clipboard. I looked up Justin, who was smiling down at Emma, gently stroking her head.

“Will you love her?” I asked him.

He looked at me, surprise flickering in his coffee brown eyes. “Of course I will, Sophie. She may not be my biological daughter, but I will love her like she is my own. I promise, Sophie.” He kissed me, and then gently kissed the top of Emma’s head. I smiled, then finally let sleep begin to take me.

Do you see your beautiful baby girl, Ricky? She looks just like you. She has the same blue eyes you had. I’ll love her like you loved me. I’ll take good care of her, I promise. When she’s old enough, I’ll tell her about you, but only the good things. I’ll tell her how much you loved me, and what you did for me. I’ll watch over our baby girl and love her with all of my heart.

I finished and then fell into a deep sleep, with my baby girl in my arms.