Chapter 2

Chapter 2

I opened the car door and went around to the backseat. I opened the door and gazed down at Emma, who was sleeping soundly. As carefully as I could, I unlatched the carrier and carried her out of the car. Justin was smiling at me, standing at the front door to our ranch house. Barks came from inside the house, revealing excited dogs. I laughed and closed the door to the car, then walked up to the huge white door to the house.

“You go in first and calm them down,” I told Justin. He nodded and slipped inside, attempting to quiet the dogs before Emma woke up. A few minutes later the barking died down, so I opened the door and walked into the house.

I smiled when Naomi padded around the corner and looked from the carrier to me. I walked past her and motioned for her to follow, which she did. We walked into the living room and I set the carrier down on the coffee table. Naomi sniffed curiously at the bundle of blankets, then looked at me.

“Her name is Emma, Naomi,” I told her. Naomi let out a soft whine and sat down. I scratched behind her ears and she licked my hand. Turning, she walked around the corner and into the kitchen.

Justin and I both jumped when his phone rang loudly. He quickly searched his pockets, trying to not wake Emma. She sniffled, but stayed asleep. Justin answered the phone and got up, and I knew he must be frustrated.

“Yeah, what is it?” I heard him ask. “Yeah… I know… She did? Okay, I’ll be there.” He hung up the phone and sighed. I smiled sadly at him and got up, then wrapped my arms around his waist.

“It’s okay, you can go. I’ll just set up Abigail’s room and introduce her to all of the others,” I told him. He turned around and kissed me.

“I’ll only be an hour. Then we can spend the rest of the day together. I promise,” he told me.

“I’ll hold you to that, okay?” I said, smirking. “Now go and save some animals. I’ll be fine here.”

He kissed me again, then pulled away. “I promise.” Then he grabbed his jacket and keys off of the counter, then left the house. I thought about what he had to go through every day as a veterinarian. Saving animal’s lives, but sometime’s being a little too late.

I shook off the thoughts and sat back down on the couch, watching Emma sleep. Yelps and barks were coming from our room, so I got up again and opened the door. They ran out and jumped onto the couch, curiously sniffing the carrier. I pulled the carrier away, then walked in the direction of her new room. They all followed behind me, wondering who the new guest was.

“You guys will love her. And Emma,” I added to the sleeping baby. “You’ll love them.”

I glanced at Lily, the brown and white shepherd sitting next to the crib. She watched Emma as I put her into her crib gently. Something told me Lily had chosen Emma as her new owner, which made me smile.

I glanced at the other dogs. “Okay, who wants to go outside?” I whispered. All at once, they raced out of the room to the back door. Except for Lily. She just stared at Emma through the bars of the crib, watching her sleep. I pet Lily on the head and leaned down so I was eye level with her. “Do you want to watch over her?”

Lily looked at me and licked my cheek, making me laugh. “Alright, you can stay here.” I got up and walked to the other side of the house. All of the other dogs were anxiously waiting by the two giant glass doors to the backyard. I unlocked them both and opened them wide, letting the dogs run out onto the grassy field.

I walked out onto the wooden porch and looked up at the sky. I felt him looking down at me, smiling. I knew he was. I smiled and closed my eyes.

“Isn’t she beautiful?” I whispered. Despite everything, I knew I missed Ricky. I wish he could’ve seen Emma at least once. He was looking down on her, and I knew he was proud. I was proud, too. A cold breeze blew past me, making my hair fly with the wind. I knew I hated Ricky. I hated him for everything he did. But he cared for and loved me.

“You’ll always be with me.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And that's the end! I figured I should at least give you guys a short story about what happened, so here it is!

BTW: Her last name is Reynolds because that's Justin's last name.

I really hoped you guys liked it, and I love you all! Thank you! :)