Chapter Fourteen: To California

“Three hours from here to the Lost Campus,” Cornelia said. We were discussing the plan of travel and infiltration after we had eaten breakfast. We were hanging out in our room, although I felt distracted. I couldn’t help but keep glancing at the sword and thinking about my dream. Colum Godfrey. That was his name. Way more interesting than Jennabel Dahl. How could I even hope to live up to his legacy?

“We can leave today. I don’t like Vegas anyways,” Atlas replied.

“But are we prepared? Dude, I think maybe we should wait and plan this out further,” countered Gair. Javi looked at me, and then back at the other three Guardians.

“I think we’re ready,” stated Javi. He ran his fingers through his dark hair, making it stand on end. “All we need to do is maybe practice a few more spells, and we can—”

“Let’s wait one more night,” I said suddenly. The other four looked at me.

“Why?” Atlas asked. I hesitated before answering.

“In case I have another dream.”

Cornelia rolled her eyes, but Gair stood up. “She has a point,” he said. “We can practice spells. Maybe we can even figure out what Jennabel’s word is, because everyone else here knows theirs.”

I blushed with embarrassment, but Atlas saved me from having to say anything else on the subject. “What did you dream about last night?” he asked.

I glanced at the sword again, and then caught my gaze in the mirror. I could almost see Colum standing behind me, with his hands on my shoulders, telling me that I was worthy of the sword. I didn’t believe him, and I didn’t think that by getting my friends into danger that I’d help my cause, but it was the only way to retrieve the Burned Rogue Book. “I met Colum the Great.”

Silence.

“What?” Cornelia breathed.

“He came to me in my dream.” I explained to them what happened, except for the ‘moral’ of the dream. I didn’t want them to think I was scared. Atlas was rigid and refused to make eye contact with me as I told them the story.

When I was done, there was more silence, until Atlas broke it.

“You saw my father?” he asked, and for some reason I thought I could hear hostility.

“Yes,” I answered carefully. “He was Colum’s best friend.”

Realization lit up Atlas’s face. “That’s why my parents always told me his story. It wasn’t just a fantasy. It was…he was their best friend.”

“Colum was worried about you before you were even born,” I said softly. “He didn’t want your father fighting, especially when your mother was pregnant with you.”

Atlas’s eyes began to water. He stood up and stormed back to his room, excusing himself gruffly, saying he would be right back. Gair, Cornelia, Javi, and I were in the room as it filled with awkward silence again.

“Was there a man named Mark? In your dream?” Cornelia asked suddenly. I thought back.

“What did he look like?”

“Blond hair, blue eyes. Runner.”

I shook my head. “I’m sorry, I—I can’t remember.”

Cornelia rolled her eyes and clenched her jaw. “Whatever.”

Atlas came back into the room, his face flushed, but he looked a little better. “Did you get anything else out of the dream? Any hint as to what the Losts are doing?”