Chapter Six

"They loved my hair today! Even some of the other little girls even said that they liked my bow! Can you do my hair like this every day?"

Sarah chuckles, "If you want, but I do have some other ideas in mind. Also, maybe I can teach you how to braid."

"Braid?"

"Yes, I braided your hair into a braid!"

"Oh! That is why people kept calling it that! It makes sense."

For the rest of the car ride, the little girl yaps on and on about her day. She hardly seems to take a breath but Sarah doesn't mind. She probably never got to talk to her dad about her day at school and Sarah was happy to give the little girl this simple pleasure.

Where is she? Normally she is here by now.

The man was waiting for the little girl. He assumed that since the girl went back home, she'd go back to her normal routine-walking quickly down the steep hill, almost running because her little legs cannot keep up. He was saddened not to see her. He did not exactly know why. Maybe he missed her? She made him happy when she smiled at his whistling? I hope she is alright. Maybe she was just driven home today. That'd be good. I hated seeing her walk all alone all by herself. He waited until almost sunset then sulked home. For the rest of the week he waited for her but she never came.

One day he decided to check in on her. He did not know why but he had an overwhelming sensation to protect this little girl. When he found it, the lights were on. That was good enough for him.

"Sarah?" asked the little girl who was peering over her new thick and comfy blanket.

When Sarah looked over at her, she could only let out a sigh of relief. When she came to this house, all the little girl had was a cot with a think, scratchy, and holey blanket. "Yes, dear?" She smiled.

"Would you tell me a story?"

"Sure. What do you want to hear?" She asked while walking back to the bed.

"Do you have any books here that I can read?"

"I was really thinking you could tell me a story about a princess."

"A princess. Okay... Let me see here..." she sat on the bed facing the little girl's sleepy face.

"What can I- oh I got it!

Um... Once upon a time there was a beautiful princess."

The little girl dug a little deeper into her blankets.

"The beautiful princess was loved by everyone, even by the animals in the forest where she used to swim and run and skip with.

One day, she longed to go outside but it was raining too hard."

"Aww." The girl frowned.

"She looked out the window watching the rain pitter-patter on the window. 'Oh how I long to go outside and play!' The beautiful princess exclaimed. 'I wish the rain would stop pouring so I can go visit all my animal friends...'"

Sarah looked down at the little girl as she was yawning and close her eyes. This made her yawn, too.

"...Suddenly, just as the princess said it. The rain stopped!" She looked down at the little girl and there she was already sleeping. So she whispered, "and the princess happily ran down and played with her animal friends..." Sarah leaned down and kissed the little girl on the cheek. She walks to the door and before she turns out the lights, she whispers, "I hope that someday the rain will stop pouring down for you someday."