Epilogue

After thinking about whether or not to tell Sarah the truth, she figured there was no harm in what there had been. So she told Sarah what had happened, beginning to end, concluding with the "kidnapping" of herself. This is what she told:

"Hello, there!" the man called as he walked to her.

"Oh, uh, hi." The girl was hesitant because she thought she knew the man but could not remember how.

"Is everything alright?"

"Oh, uh, yeah. I am just taking a break from my walk home."

At that moment the man realized who he was talking to. His eyes brightened out of joy of seeing her again and decided it was okay to sit down next to her. Then he noticed a hint of sadness in her eyes.

"What's wrong?" he asked

"Nothing."

"Aren't you the girl whose dad is on trial?"

Then out of nowhere, the girl started to cry. Therefore the man tried to comfort her.

"I'm sorry." He said. He knew what it was like to lose someone valuable. However, he did not know if the father was really valuable or if she was just tired of the mess.

After a few minutes, she started sniffling and slowly the tears stopped rolling down her cheeks.

"Can I tell you something?" she asked. She felt comfortable around him. She did not know why but she felt like she could trust him.

"Sure."

"Well, uh, I am sad that daddy is on trial. Everyone says he is guilty but I do not want him to go to jail. I love him and every time I see him in the room with the judge and the loyers and the bench people because I know they think he's guilty. I don't want to tell Sarah that I'm sad because she is doing her very bestest but I am still sad because if he is found guilty, I won't have a dad anymore. I never knew my mommy. Then I would lose Sarah. I don't know where I will go. Do you think I will be sent to live with other little boys and girls without mommies and daddies?"

The man frowned. There was definitely a lot going on in this girl's life and he felt bad. He wanted to take the pain away but he did not know how. What he was even more confused about was what to say to the little girl. He did not know the future, but things did not look good. He did not want to tell her that but he did not want to lie to her either. She deserved the truth but he could not bring himself to say it.

"...I think that... you should go along with what they have in store for you, whatever that may be... it may be hard right now but it is for the best... and maybe when you are older, you will understand and appreciate what everyone is doing for you."

"Okay," she said. "But it is just so hard right now."

"I know how you feel. I lost someone very important to me, too, through a trial."

"Really?"

"Yes. She was really special to me and the court separated us...." The man sighed. "But, after a while, I figured out it is for the best. She brought out the best and worst in me but I only focused on the best. Unfortunately, she only focused on the worst. That is what tore us apart and I think you can relate to that in some way."

"She? Was she your mommy?"

The man chuckled. "No, she was my wife."

"Did she go to jail?"

"No, but I still cannot see her again."

"Why not?"

At that question, his heart broke a little. He felt like he could cry. He felt like he could drink. He felt like he could punch a wall. But he knew that he had to stay strong for the girl.

"She does not want to see me... that is why we went to court. She wanted a divorce... to be separated, forever."

"Oh." The little girl frowned and looked down. She could feel that this was still a sad part of the man's life. She felt like she stepped into a creepy basement filled with monsters, even though she was warned not to.

"It's okay, though," the man forced a grin. "We are both better off, now. Now, I can do whatever I want and not feel bad about it or feel like I am walking on eggshells, anymore."

"Walking on what?!"

"Walking on eggshells. It means... it means that you feel like you are going to upset someone at the littlest thing or just something random."

"Ohhh. That is how I felt about my dad when he was still taking care of me." After some thought the girl asked, "So are me and daddy getting a deforce?"

The man couldn't help but smile for real that time. Ohh... When was the last time I was this happy and smiling again?

"No." he said at last. "It is similar but more complicated at the same time."

"Oh, okay. Does complicated mean messy?"

The man nodded. After a few minutes of silence the girl seemed to be debating on whether or not to say something.

"What is it?"

"Oh, can I- never mind."

"No, you can tell me. What is it?"

"Will you take care of me from now on?"

"Oh, well... I have always wanted a kid but it is not as easy as picking up a kid from a playground. I could get arrested for that. Anyways, shouldn't you be getting home? It is getting kind of late, you know. Do you want me to walk you home?"

"No." the girl frowned. She did not want to go back home to where she will be faced to go ride in a car to sit on a bench, seeing her dad get bullied by a bunch of people. "No, I am fine. Where are you going to go?"

"Me? I am going to go home."

"Okay."

"Maybe we will see each other again. I really like talking to you."

"Me too!" The girl starts heading home until she is past the sight of the man. As soon as the man turns to start walking home, the girl starts to follow.