2

The first week, after I had gotten the ultimatum from my mother, I spent moping around. Of course, I went to work and everything, but when I came back home, I did nothing. I avoided my parents, ate late at night, when I wasn't grading papers and exams I holed myself up in the gym or in my room, bawling my eyes out trying not to think of anything concerning my upcoming birthday, and royally failing.

The second week started out with me having to pack for a trip to Paris. City of love, or so they say, all I did was dread it. I'd spent a whole week avoiding the decision-making and now I was looking to a whole week of imprisonment in a hotel, listening to old men talk about their business plans, how they got to where they are now, etc.

My plane left in six hours and I was not even close to finished with packing.

Toiletries, I thought and went to my bathroom. By the time I reached the bathroom I had to retrace my steps just to know what I was doing in there. I let out a string of frustrated groans, this wasn't working.

ΩΩΩΩΩ

I got to the airport with only an hour to spare and was lucky I'd checked-in online beforehand or they wouldn't have let me pass. I'd barely been able to pack my things in time and felt completely drained of all energy so when I was finally able to board the plane only to hear from the flight-attendant that there'd been a mistake in the seating arrangements and that I would have to sit in economy-class (no refund) I nearly blew a fuse.

To make matters worse, the seat next to me was occupied by a mother with her new-born who apparently didn't know how to handle babies.

It was bearable for the twenty minutes the plane stayed on the ground because loading had been delayed, however when the plane took off, the difference in air-pressure made the child howl like a whale. The mother panicked completely, nearly dropping her baby and after ten minutes of listening to the demon-whale I'd reached my limit. I threw the mother a nasty glare, which fortunately she didn't see, or she would have never agreed to let me hold the baby. In a matter of seconds the howling stopped, but as I handed the baby back to its mother, it began to cry again. She gave me another panicking look and I knew I'd have to keep the baby for the remainder of the plane ride, if I ever wanted to get any rest.

I settled the child on my lap and made myself comfortable in my seat, or at least as comfortable as I could get with my gigantic legs and soon dozed off.

ΩΩΩΩΩ

I slept the entire plane ride, thus missing the on-board meal. The mother next to me had to flick me on the forehead to wake me up when the plane had landed and the plane had already been vacated. The only ones still on it, the mother and her child in my lap and the stewardesses who stood around me looking annoyed. They probably wanted to go to their hotel to nap before they had to take off again in the morning.

I looked out the window as I handed the baby back to its mother. She thanked me profusely and waited for me to get off out of politeness. It was already dark outside, but it was winter so that didn't surprise me. The mother with her child and I made our way to the check out in silence. We grabbed our cases and she thanked me again before saying goodbye.

I looked for a clock and spotted one near the exit. My eyes widened as I looked at the time. Nearly nine PM. I accelerated my pace and hailed in a cab as soon as I was outside. It didn't take long for one to stop. I quickly gave him the address of my hotel and we were on our way.

I arrived at the hotel with only a quarter of an hour to spare till the welcoming speech and the reception for the congress began. I rushed to the check-in counter and saw a small line of people. I groaned inwardly but joined the end of the line and patiently waited my turn.