9

I woke up to the knocking of the cleaning lady and quickly sat up. The spot between my thighs still felt painful from the late-night activities I'd preformed with my mate. I held back another rush of tears. One breakdown in his shower was enough... for now.

I got up and went to open the door and let in the cleaning lady.

"Do you mind, I still need to get dressed..."I gestured to my clothes then to me, the lady didn't speak English...

"Oui, bien sûr." She gestured for me to go ahead and started with the bed.

I quickly undid the knot on the dressing robe and slipped out of it before dressing in a simple black maxi-dress. I hurriedly took my notepad and pen before heading out the room, leaving the cleaning lady at her job.

I went down to reception and was disappointed when Noël was nowhere in sight. I continued on to the restaurant and took some sandwiches, cream cheese and some fruit to eat and went to the empty corner table I usually occupied.

Quarter of an hour later Connor walked into the cafeteria and searched the room with his eyes. His eyes met mine and he seemed to want to advance my way but I gave him a 'don't-you-dare-come-over' look and he seemed to get it because he stopped and looked around again aimlessly before spotting his Irish colleagues and heading their way sullenly.

I could do without another one of his hurtful discourses.

As soon as I was finished, I up and left the cafeteria and went back up to my room. Even though he'd kicked me out at six – I wanted to strangle him for that – and I'd slept for two more hours before the cleaning lady woke me again, the last day of presentations would not start for another solid hour and Noël was nowhere in sight either.

Just before ten, I heard a knock at the door of my room and Noël's timid voice came through before I opened the door.

She smiled at me unsurely and waved as I mentioned for her to come in.

"Soo... the man... your mate... Mr O'Brian came by the reception again to ask for your room number...just before he checked out... of course I didn't give it... I hope that was the right choice?" she questioned, unsure. I felt a pang go through my heart.

"He left?" she looked me in the eye for a minute before nodding nervously.

"Should I have given him your room number?" though I desperately wanted to see him, hold him... be held by him... wanted him to love me and see only me... I knew it was best not to expect anything, not after this morning... he would not be mine. Though it hurt, I knew it was best he didn't come to see me before he left, I might not have been strong enough to be confronted by him again so soon after what happened. So I shook my head.

"No, it's better this way..." she put her hand on my shoulder and I looked up to see a sad, worried frown marring her pretty face, a reflection of my expression I guessed.

"He said he wanted to apologise for something... didn't say what, but you probably know? He handed me his business card..." she handed me a small rigid-looking black and grey card. I took it from her and stared at it not really taking it in as I thought back to last night. But I forced those thoughts out and looked at the card. It had the name of his company and his name printed in silver on the front together with a phone number. The back had the same black and grey design and I could distinguish a handwritten message that was barely readable because of the black background. 'Please call me.' Why? What for? I crumpled the card in an attempt to keep my tears at bay and threw it to the dressing table before fleeing to the bathroom.

I was more upset than I let on... it didn't take long though for me to regain my composure get back into my room. Noël sat on the bed and stood as I returned from the bathroom. She'd entered, and closed the door to my room. And I noticed for the first time that she was made up. I frowned at that.