A new home. Chapter 10

[Edited]

Disclaimer: I don't own the picture above and have only done basic editing. I really hope you all like this chapter, it was so difficult to edit this for some reason, but anyways, I hope you enjoy!

I woke up to the sound of my alarm ringing next to my ear. I got up with difficulty and a couple of grunts as I struggled to keep my upper body propped up. Instinctively, I touched my neck and felt bandages that I had wrapped around before I went to bed. After a few minutes of lightly stroking my neck, I got up and proceeded onto my morning routine, then went downstairs to dread throughout breakfast.

"Good morning, dear- Serena! What happened to you?!" Mother yelled in terror as soon as I entered the dining hall, making everyone in the room turn to look at me- but I only smiled gently at her.

"I tripped over the leg of the sharp coffee table in the living area and cut my nape quite badly. It's nothing to worry about, at least my head is fine." I rubbed my nape as I made up the excuse and proceeded to sit down.

"Were you able to... do your task?" Father asked after a moment of silence and I merely looked up, not having the nerves to respond. "I see." He sighed and continued to eat his breakfast. The rest of the breakfast had gone roughly in silence, with only the sounds of cutlery tapping against each other echoing through the hall. The dreadful time was finally over and I was sitting in my room when a knock erupted in the silent room.

"Come in." I replied as I got up from my bed and stood up straight to see mother standing at the doorway.

"Serena, we had recently gotten an invitation from the maiden household for you and Jameson to stay over there for some time. They need your help with the casualties that have been occurring. Would you like to accept their invite?" She smiled lightly and I looked outside my window, thinking of the offer for a moment. I looked back at her and gave her a gentle smile.

"Of course, it would be good for both of us- considering the circumstances." I nodded along, to which she smiled wider and nodded back.

"Alright then, I will get everything ready for you and Jameson- he has already agreed." She spoke up and left the room, leaving me astonished.

Wait, we are leaving today?!

---

Jameson and I were now sitting in the car that was on its way to the maiden household. We were having casual conversations from time to time until I was interrupted by my phone ringing. I looked at it to see an unknown number calling, and with a suspicious hum- I answered it.

"Hello, this is Serena Smith speaking." I nonchalantly spoke and waited for a response.

"You fool! What were you thinking when you went to our house and didn't do anything about it?! I thought you were trained fighters! If this is all you know, you are pathetic!" The voice on the other end yelled to some extent but was laced with sarcasm as well.

"Sorry?" I looked at Jameson, who was now intrigued by the muffled yelling he could hear. The voice on the other side grunted and continued speaking.

"Why is Yui still alive?" He growled deeply and waited for my response but all I did was cut the call right there. I looked out the window and felt a hand placed on my shoulder.

"Just ignore him. If he tries to do anything, just tell me, okay?" I finally looked at him and nodded, feeling reassured.

"By the way, do you have any idea as to why they really sent us here?" I asked as we pulled up in front of the household. I got out quickly and took out all the baggage as the security ran up to us and helped us take all the luggage out.