Chapter 18:The other shoe drops

The next morning she found herself cuddled into the side of her reaper. He had his arms around her protectively. She smiled to herself as she cuddled closer to him. She let out a deep sigh of contentment and let herself revel in the time she had with him. She knew once he woke up it would be back to the bodies and away from her. She thought about the fairy glen he had taken her the night before. She wished she knew the way back on her own, but she also knew she had to respect the rules.

As she thought to herself, she noticed Adrian began to mumble in his sleep. She looked at him trying to figure out what it was he was saying. It was difficult since he was speaking an odd language. She couldn't figure it out at first, but then he started speaking English. He started saying things like, "You evil demon you can't have her."; and "No Ariel please don't leave me, don't fall for his trap." He had begun to toss and turn as his dream obviously became more violent. She was able to get herself free from his grip as he began thrashing around now.

Ariel tried to wake him up by shaking his shoulders. His suddenly sat up as his eyes shot open wild and full of fear. He looked around not yet able to realize he wasn't dreaming anymore. Ariel looked at him with worry as she caressed his cheek to try and calm him down. After a moment he realized he was awake finally and pulled her into a tight hug. "Shh, it's alright Adrian. I'm right here see, nothing to worry about." She said as she hugged him back and laid her head on his shoulder. He sat there quiet just holding her as he let himself calm down.

After a few minutes he let her go and looked at her. "I don't know what I would do if I ever lost you Ariel. I think I would wish for death if that damned demon ever did take you from me." He said letting his hand slide through his hair. She sat there watching him as he let out a shaky breath. She crawled onto his lap and let herself lay against him. "I don't ever want to leave you Adrian. I'm not going anywhere willingly, and you already promised you would protect me. I hope you're not the sort to go back on your word."

He wrapped his arms around her and let his head rest on hers. "I will protect you my little one. I will not go back on my promise I made to you." She let her head lay in the crook of his neck as he held her there. She could tell he was deep in thought since he hadn't moved or spoken in a few minutes. He just sat there holding her like someone would jump through the door any moment and try to steal her away.

She looked up at him and pulled his face down with her hands to look him in the eyes. "I am right here Adrian, talk to me if you need to talk. We are mates after all so you will have to get used to it eventually." He looked into her eyes that were full of love and understanding. He began to give a weak smile and kissed her deeply. He pulled away after a minute and put his forehead on hers. He sat there with his eyes shut just taking her in as the morning ticked on.

Realizing they had to get to work soon, she kissed him again and started to get up from his lap. "We should get dressed and head down for work. I'll make breakfast while you change; unless Lizzie already made it." Ariel said as she began to walk towards the door. "Oh yes about that, Lizzie never came home last night." She froze turning around slightly to look at him. "I'm sorry I don't think I heard you correctly. Did you just say Lizzie didn't come home?" "Yes I did little one, I figured she would be here by the time we got back but she wasn't. So I waited up for a while to make sure she got in alright. After about an hour a messenger came to the door with a letter from Taran stating Lizzie had sprained her ankle and was staying at his house." He said getting up and stretching as he spoke.

Ariel stood there for a minute as she let his words sink in. Sure Lizzie could be rather clumsy, but how would she have sprained her ankle? She shook her head letting her thoughts go. "This is Lizzie we're talking about." She mumbled under her breath. Adrian gave a laugh hearing her words as he began to take his shirt off to change. Seeing this she gave a small squeak and quickly turned. "You could wait until I'm out of the door you know." She said walking away quickly to hide her bright red face and shaking her head. "But little one we are mates are we not? You will have to get used to it eventually." He replied laughing at her.