Shore Leave

Ensign Jamie Gordon loved books. It was just who she was. She supposed that her love of reading stemmed from her love of learning since the books she adored the most were nonfiction.  It had doubled as a blessing and a curse throughout her life. When she was in high-school, it had distinguished her from her classmates. Propelling her into more advanced programs, her teachers and her parents had viewed it as a quirky part of her personality. At Starfleet Academy, however, it had often gotten in the way of her actual assignments. On more than one occasion, Jamie's only excuse to her professors concerning her submissions of unfinished work was that she had been reading. They did not respond as well to this excuse as her former teachers did. On the whole, Jamie considered her dedication to literature a good thing. Sure, she did occasionally bump in to someone on the sidewalk because her nose was stuck in a book, but the advantages of knowing the answer to that random trivia question and having a plethora of conversation starters outweighed the disadvantages. So when she ran smack-dab into a blue clad male on the sidewalk outside the Starfleet Halsey Branch Library, she didn't regret reading Klingons and Romulans: A History while she was walking. That is, until she looked up and saw who she had ran into.

"Oh my goodness," she bumbled, "I am so sorry, First Officer! I- I should've been more aware of my surroundings. It won't happen again, sir." As she spouted off her apologies, Jamie took in the Vulcan's appearance. He was disheveled, or what counted as disheveled for him. A few hairs were not in place above his eyebrows, and his shirt was a bit wrinkled.

Mr. Spock replied, "It is fine, Ensign." He was frowning. She ran her fingers along her book's spine nervously. Although, now that Jamie thought about it, was he ever doing anything else?

"Okay, that's good. Because I was worried there for a second there that this really adds to your bad first impression of me. I wanted to present myself as professional and competent the first time I met you, and well, I know Vulcan's don't really tolerate lateness, and I was so SO late getting off the ship earlier today. And now I've run into you! Honestly, I don't see how I could start off more on the wrong foot." Jamie, to say the least, was a rambler. She mentally kicked herself.

"Ensign Gordon, I hardly believe first impressions are an accurate basis for fundamental opinions of one's professional ability," he stated tiredly. The girl's long-winded explanation was unnecessary in his opinion. He had resided among humans for long enough now that tardiness was almost expected.

"Oh, oh." She nodded to herself and squared her shoulders, confidence renewed. "Well, I was just heading to the library to check out some books. I find that the most enjoyable way to spend my time is to educate myself on the unknown," she declared happily. She was looking forward to silently lounging between shelves of worn tomes.

Spock mentally groaned. He was on his way to the library as well. He had hoped to spend his time enjoying a quiet escape reading about the archeological advancements on Petra IV. Now, that he had happened upon this short, verbose ensign, he supposed he had to accompany her. It would only be polite.

"I was going to the library as well," Spock sighed. "May I join you?"

"Oh. Absolutely! The more the merrier!"

Spock was too tired to inquire about the meaning of her words.