Like The Waves

Brent's P.O.V.

Brent kept his eyes on his phone as he walked slowly on a street in Los Angeles, still keeping himself aware of those around him so he wouldn't get bumped in the shoulder, or vice versa. He ended up stopping as he almost bumped into a motionless and plump man in a suit, who didn't even look back at him. Right as he touched the other man's coat, Brent forced himself to stop scrolling a Twitter feed and look up.

Much to his surprise, he saw a large group of people filling up the sidewalk, with only a small space by the street that other people that had to get places shuffled through. Most people, like Brent himself, stopped in front of the crowd, though, to see what they were looking at.

As Brent caught sight of a large glass window on the side of a building with the news, he also saw people leaving the group, shaking their heads. Then Brent realized that what was on the other side of the glass was about ten television sets running the news. He excused himself as he put his phone in his pocket and squeezed through the distracted Californians.

As Brent made it just feet from the glass, he began to hear the news anchor's words. It was about the government, but it seemed a bit more like breaking news.

"---have stated that there is more progress. Carter himself has noted that he is specifically focusing on his method of separating the social classes, to create the organization that the nation has not yet seen. While he does this, the rest of what's left of the White House is reportedly putting together their elaborate plans to truly reshape the nation. They state that it is a much bigger and better thing for the U.S., which they've begun to call, 'The Great Reformation.'"

The anchor took a pause. Brent registered this and couldn't help but think of Drew---Brent tried not to care, really, but as much as he could, he needed to accept that this is happening. This 'Great Reformation' is what it says it is---a ginormous reformation of the United States. Something that he needs to come to terms with, like Drew, because it'll be soon when he can't avoid it. They can't.

Brent looked up from where he was looking, which was at the bottom of the glass. Just as he did so, the anchor on TV furrowed his eyebrows and his lips tightened so show he was concerned. He cleared his throat and said with obvious difficulty, "And now for the breaking news..."

So there is more. Stuff we don't yet know.

Brent found his hands trembling. For the first time, he felt scared about the government. Other people around him were touching his back and shoulders, craning around his tall figure to see the TV, and Brent also became aware that these people were also probably scared. He wasn't alone.

"Before the government takes control of the press in a matter of weeks, they have told all news and radio stations to tell citizens that the United Kingdom has turned against the United States and declared war."

People around Brent gasped. Brent felt his heart struggling to make regular beats. He felt himself gaping but couldn't help it.

The anchor struggled to find words, though he had them right in front of him, Brent knew.

"Press Secretary Yvette Simmons will give more information soon, but for the time being, has told us that they are making most of these changes to accommodate for the war that is coming. As for when it comes, no one has any clue."

The anchor looked down a moment, at the papers sitting in front of him. But no, not for references, he was struggling with the news, despite that very thing being his job. Then, lips still tight with likely frustration and worry, he looked up and said lightly, "Now to Adriana Fierro giving us a message from the Bowery Residents' Committee."