Chapter 7 - The Fights Begin

"Since there are an odd number of you, one of you will not be fighting today." I say, as I walk away from the chalkboard. I give Toby a little look as I do so, since he is the one sitting out today. I call Will and Al into the arena as they are the first to fight.

I hear conversations taking places around the room, as Al and Will both bring their arms up to their faces to defend themselves as I taught them yesterday. I feel the room go cooler as the door opens revealing Eric who walks over and stands beside me. Of course he has to come in now.

I watch as the pair circle around the arena, not one of them prepared to make the first move. I can tense as I feel Eric getting annoyed with Al and Will, until Al throws a punch at Will, hitting him in the jaw. Even without looking, I can sense the smirk written on Eric's face as Will holds his hand to his jaw, before he returns his hands in the defensive position.

Al throws a second punch, which Will manages to block. Behind the scrapping pair, I see Christina raise her hand, apparently waving at Peter, Molly and Drew, before she returns back to her conversation with Toby.

Will kicks Al's leg, knocking him to the floor. Al quickly gets up.

I feel the pair glancing at me as they begin to circle around the arena again. I stand silent, wishing that I could call the fight off, but with Eric's presence that is not an option. I look to Eric who is currently checking his watch, fake yawning to exaggerate the fact that he is bored.

Eric suddenly speaks up. "Do you think this is a leisure activity? Should we break this up for nap time? Fight each other!"

"But..." Al begins as he straightens up, his hands retreating to his sides. "Is it scored or something? When does it end?!"

"It ends when one of you can no longer continue!" Eric says.

I shouldn't really say this, but I need the initiates to know that I'm not a sadist like Eric. "According to Dauntless rules, one of you could also concede."

Eric turns to face me. "According to the old rules." He says, an evil smirk appearing on his face. "New rules, no one concedes."

"A brave man acknowledges the strength of others" I reply through gritted teeth.

"A brave man never surrenders," Eric throws back.

I stare at Eric hoping he will back down. An idea pops into my head.

"Lucky for you, those weren't the rules when we fought," I say, wiping the smirk off Eric's face.

"That's ridiculous!" Al exclaims, turning my attention from Eric onto the arena. "We're in the same faction! What's the point in beating him up?!"

"Oh, you think I'm going down that easily?" Will shouts. "Try me, slowpoke." Determination is covering Will's face as he brings his hands back up to protect his face.

Al throws a punch, which Will dodges, before throwing a punch at Al, hitting him weakly in the side of the face.

Al throws one final punch at Will, and I turn away before I watch Will's limp body collapse on the floor in a pile.

"Get him up!" Eric demands.

I turn to circle Al's name on the chalk board before giving him a hand with taking Will to the infirmary. I don't really want to leave the initiates alone in the room with Eric, but I have no choice in the matter.

We get halfway down the hallway before I turn to Al.

"You can go back to the room if you like, I've got him from here." I say.

Al nods and scurries off, not before ensuring that Will was stable against the side of my body.

I carry/drag will down the hallway that leads to the infirmary, where he begins to regain consciousness.

"Wh-what happened?" he says.

"Eric happened..." I reply simply.

We walk into the infirmary in silence, where I deposit Will to get checked over before heading back to the fighting room.

As I begin walking back, I hear a scream from near the chasm. I turn on my heel, heading in the direction. As I arrive, I see nine figures, one of which is holding onto the railing overlooking the chasm. I begin walking up to see what's happening. Eric stands nearest the dangling body – which I quickly worked out is Christina – with a smug look on his face. Toby looks over at Christina in shock and horror.

This is why I shouldn't leave Eric alone with the initiates.

"5 minutes are up," Al spits at Eric. Eric takes his time to check his own watch, before allowing Christina up. Al moves towards Christina to help her up.

"No!" Eric booms. "She has to get up on her own."

"No! She's done as you requested." Al spits back. I turn around heading to the control room, where I stay for the rest of the day.

____________________________________________________________

Word Count: 850, yay!

Please let me know if you enjoy this or not!

LY all!

~Chantelle