C H A P T E R 3_

(song: "Cold" by Aqualung feat. Lucy Schwartz)

We stay silent and in pain for some time until we are interrupted. I look up at Agent Coulson, a middle aged man in a suit, plain the eyes. He is second in command here at S.H.I.E.L.D. and is their eyes and ears that are kept to the ground. He stands at the entrance to the room in which holds the glass prison we are locked in.

It's silent for a moment before he says, "I'd like to speak to her." And two guards walk over to the sealed door to prepare to open it.

"Attempt to escape, and we won't hesitate to kill you," Coulson says plainly to the Asgardian.

Loki isn't in the mood to talk, his eyes stay cold and he ignores the man, continuing to read his book.

I slip back on my jacket and stand up, walking over to the door to ask Coulson, "Are you taking me for interrogation?"

"More like a conversation," he says with an empty, business toned smile. "Step to the door please."

Just then the guards open the lock and wait for me to exit.

I slowly walk out of the cell while saying, "I wonder what kind of questions are going to be asked in this 'conversation'."

They shut the door and lock it again before Coulson walks up to meet me, the guards readying hand cuffs to make sure I behave.

"Those won't be necessary," the man tells them. And they put them away. "Miss?" Coulson gestures ahead for me to go first out of the room with him.

I slightly nod my head and say, "Thank you," as I walk past him.

Coulson leads me to a comfortable room with a window wall, unlike a room for interrogating would be like. He offers beverages and I gladly take some coffee. But after a moment he cuts the chitchat and speaks calmly to me, "I don't normally like to have someone on our ship that I don't know anything about."

"Well then, ask your questions," I say as I take a gulp of the coffee and would normally prefer sweetener if I was myself from a week ago. But I have had so much of it now that it doesn't bother me and I drink the hot cup of energy fast with no reaction.

"We pulled your records. It seems you have a history with us. And I believe you know of someone named Ian Lowe?" Coulson brings out a folder and sets it on the table between us.

I am paying attention but when he asks that something inside me freeze ice cold. I look down and say in a very quiet voice, "Yes... Yes I knew him."

"He had history with us a bit different than the kind you had. He wasn't allowed to tell others of his involvement with S.H.I.E.L.D. But he was a respected agent. Are you two related?"

I shakily take a sip of coffee and feel the hot liquid run down my throat. I set the cup down before saying, "He was my fiancé."

"We're sorry for what happened. Loki has a lot to answer for... And the sooner we find find the Tesseract, the sooner we can deal with him... The others seem to trust you. Captain Rogers informed me of your gifts and motives. It seems you have a lot in common with them. I know that you want to be contained, and that I will keep allowing. Because unlike Mr. Lowe, you pose a threat to us. It's not easy to hack into our main frame. But you managed. We'll keep you where you want to be and have no charges put on you in return for a favor."