THREE

Don't get too close

It's dark inside

It's where my demons hide

Demons, Imagine Dragons

Cloaked in darkness, Ari made her way silently through the alleyways, blending into the shadows. Her eyes were watchful, wary, seeking out any sign of trouble. Her bow was in her hand, freshly polished, and the quiver strapped to her back was heavy with the weight of her new arrows. She felt awake tonight, her nerves humming with energy, her bones restless, desperate for action.

Out of habit, Ari tipped her head back and gazed up at the sky, seeking the moon. It was there, partially hidden by clouds, its presence ever reassuring and comforting, the one constant in her chaotic, scattered life. It shone brightly, a glowing silver crescent against a blanket of spilled indigo ink.

Commotion in the nearby street caught her attention, pulled her out of her reverie. She slipped from the alleyway, silent as death. The streets were mostly empty, save for a few drunken men stumbling along the road. They didn't notice Ari as she passed them by. It was only when she turned the corner that she saw the source of the disturbance that had drawn her.

It was a sight she usually saw in the slums. A gang of thugs, maybe about four or five of them, had cornered a girl against a wall, grabbing at her hair and clothes and purse. The girl was struggling, but the men only laughed, their jeers grating on Ari's ears. Rage swelled inside of her. She nocked an arrow, pulled back the drawstring, prepared to shoot. She pictured the arrows slicing into the men's backs, their cruel sneers disappearing, replaced with cries of pain as they toppled on to the ground in pools of their own blood. She had done it before and she had no qualms about doing it again.

But this time, it seemed as though her intervention was not required. Ari watched as the girl pushed herself off the wall with a sudden burst of strength, purse swinging, and kneed one of them in the groin. The man fell over, just as another one of them rushed at the girl. She whirled, brought up her fists in what was clearly a trained fighter's stance, and swung, knocking the man out. As she did so, Ari caught a glimpse of a scar running down her face in the moonlight.

Lowering her bow, she grinned. Dagger.

Ari felt her smile growing as Dagger kicked and punched and dodged, moving swiftly, with the lightning fast speed of a viper's strike, until all the men lay at her feet. From an outsider's perspective, Ari thought she looked like a wickedly beautiful goddess, standing regally before the mere mortals that she'd struck down with an uncaring wave of her hand. She wiped away a dark stain on the dagger that she must have slipped out at some point—Ari recognized it as the same dagger she'd seen in Dagger's weaponry the day before, the one with the swirling patterns and the jagged teeth. Dagger dusted off her hands daintily, adjusted her dress, and began walking away, her heels click-clacking on the pavement.

Ari waited as Dagger passed by, falling into step beside her.  She looked at her in surprise. "Artemis?"

"Just Ari. And you are my new favourite person."

Dagger smiled back sweetly. "I'm honoured," she said. Then frowned. "What are you doing here?"

Ari returned the arrow from her loaded bow back to her quiver. "Looking for trouble." She eyed Dagger's elaborate get up. "What about you?" 

Dagger wrinkled her nose. "I was going to a bar. Doesn't sound so appealing anymore, though."  

Ari raised an eyebrow. "A bar?"