Chapter 16: Goodbyes

I stand in our room, staring out the window as all the warriors Mason has assembled get ready for their long journey. I watch as they lean down to say goodbye to their little children and their mates. I know that some of them will not be coming back home. I should be down there with them, helping them come to terms with their goodbyes and what they might mean. Pack members are going to lose their mates, children are going to lose their parents... because of me.

I'm a coward, hiding up here by myself. I want to protest this. There has to be another way out of this. There has to be another way to stop this war without blood being shed. But I know Dylan will never stop until he has either destroyed this pack or has me back in his clutches, not until someone puts a stop to him.

I turn away from the window and wrap my arms around myself. Mason's going off to battle and there's a very high possibility that he won't be coming back to me. I'll have to run this pack then, with the help of the next male in charge, should he not return to me. I can handle the pack if I have to, but even if I can survive losing Maso, my worries rest with our baby girl. I don't want her to grow up in a world without her father.

The tears pour from my eyes as I picture a life without my mate in it. I just so recently found him, I can't lose him before we even get the chance to live our lives. Eight months is not long enough. I know my mother survived losing Nate, but I don't know if I can. I won't survive if Mason leaves me here alone forever. I need him, our child will need him. I sigh and shake my head. If it comes to that and I do manage to survive, the woman that will come out on the other side will never be the same as the person I am now.

His scent hits me before he opens the door. I keep my back to him, unable to turn and face what's about to be said.

I really am a coward.

"Alaina," he speaks from the doorway. I open my teary eyes and finally face the gorgeous man in front of me. This could be the last time I see him. "Red," he whispers before moving forward and wrapping me in his warmth. I burrow myself against his chest as I cling to him the best I can with my growing belly.

"I can't lose you, Mason" I sob into his chest. "I know I'm supposed to be strong right now and stand by your decision, but I'm so scared. It's a battle and I know anything can happen when it comes to a war. I was trained to fight in them. I know how quickly things can change, especially with not knowing what you're going into." I pull back and look up at him. "You have to promise me that you will come back to me. I won't survive without you."

He sighs and moves his hands to frame my face as he leans down until his forehead rests against mine. "I promise you that I will come back to you, Alaina. I don't want you to worry about a thing right now other than staying healthy and safe for our pup. I'll be back before you know it and then we're going to be free of this reckless war. We can finally settle down and raise our little girl together." I nod my head and close my eyes as I inhale his scent. When I feel myself calm back down, I pry my already swelling eyes open to look at him "About the baby," he starts off in a soft whisper, "I've been thinking about names since we found out what we were having. How do you feel about the name Everleigh?" he asks, his voice more timid than I've ever heard it.

I breathe out a chuckle through my tears and repeat the name in my head. "It sounds perfect," I say as I look into those eyes I love. "Everleigh Woods." I rest my hands on my bump and smile down at my growing daughter. "We love you so much, sweet girl. Your daddy has to go away for a little bit, but he loves you always." I sniffle and push past my emotions. "We can't wait to meet you."

"Alpha!" one of the warriors comes into the room. My eyes dart to him as he bows his head in respect and waits for Mason to allow him to continue. Mason nods his head to the boy and I hold my breath. He rubs his hands up and down my arms in an attempt to relax me as his gaze stays on the boy. "Everyone is ready to go and we're just waiting for your command, Alpha." I look up at Mason just as he nods his head. I listen to the boy's hurried footsteps as I stare at the wall of Mason's chest.